Calculate pH of 4.41 M HCl Water Solution

In summary: Although its pH is not just minus log of concentration, as things get complicated because of the high ionic strength of the solution.In summary, the student is trying to find the pH of a water solution with a molarity of 4.41 M. They are not able to find a solution and are unsure as to what the definition of pH is.
CroSinus

Homework Statement

Hello everybody,
How can I calculate pH value of 4.41 M HCl water solution? Is it possible for such a solution to exist?

Thank you very much for your help,
CroSinus

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I try to find - log 4.41 I get a negative value. I do not know how to interpret my result.

Physics news on Phys.org
CroSinus said:
When I try to find - log 4.41 I get a negative value. I do not know how to interpret my result.
What is the definition of pH?

You can have a negative pH, though it is certainly wrong in your case and corresponds to > 1M strong acid.

epenguin said:
You can have a negative pH, though it is certainly wrong in your case and corresponds to > 1M strong acid.
Are you trying to tell me that a water solution with such a high molarity (4.41 M) is not possible?

Thank you very much,
CroSinus​

Bystander said:
What is the definition of pH?
I think I used an adequate definition formula for pH:
pH = - log (H+). Since HCl is a strong acid I assumed that c(HCl) = c(H+).

Thank you very much for your help,
Cro​

I’m sorry I must have misread your post. Your assumption is OK and the pH should be negative.

Likes symbolipoint
CroSinus said:
pH = - log (H+). Since HCl is a strong acid I assumed that c(HCl) = c(H+).
That's it. There is no need to "interpret."

Students who become concerned with extreme pH's in water solution are more likely to miss the theory when they try to take a look at a pH for an extremely alkaline solution, excessive amount of hydroxide ions. pH relates to hydronium ion concentration related to dissociation of water. Borek or somebody can explain this better.

"Concentrated" hydrochloric acid that you buy is typically 37% HCl. That's about 10 M. So 4.41 M is certainly possible.

mjc123 said:
"Concentrated" hydrochloric acid that you buy is typically 37% HCl. That's about 10 M. So 4.41 M is certainly possible.

Although its pH is not just minus log of concentration, as things get complicated because of the high ionic strength of the solution.

(@mjc123 I know you know, I just wanted it clearly stated in the thread).

1. How do you calculate the pH of a 4.41 M HCl water solution?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter (M). In this case, the [H+] is equal to the concentration of HCl, which is 4.41 M. Therefore, the pH of a 4.41 M HCl water solution is -log(4.41) = 0.356.

2. What is the difference between Molarity and pH?

Molarity (M) is a measure of the concentration of a solution, while pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. Molarity is expressed in units of moles per liter (mol/L), while pH is a unitless scale ranging from 0 to 14.

3. How does the concentration of HCl affect the pH of a water solution?

The concentration of HCl directly affects the pH of a water solution. As the concentration of HCl increases, the concentration of hydrogen ions also increases, making the solution more acidic and lowering the pH. As the concentration of HCl decreases, the concentration of hydrogen ions decreases, making the solution less acidic and raising the pH.

4. Can the pH of a 4.41 M HCl water solution be changed?

Yes, the pH of a 4.41 M HCl water solution can be changed by adding a base to neutralize the acidic solution or by diluting the solution with water to decrease the concentration of HCl.

5. What is the pH of a 4.41 M HCl water solution at different temperatures?

The pH of a 4.41 M HCl water solution will not change significantly with temperature. However, the concentration of HCl may change slightly due to changes in volume or dissociation of the acid at higher temperatures. Therefore, the pH may vary slightly but will still be close to the calculated value of 0.356.