Calculating Pluto's velocity (angular momentum)

In summary, Jessica is looking for an equation to solve for Pluto's velocity at its furthest distance from the Sun. She comes up with the equation viri = vfrf, but realizes that this method is not viable without knowing the velocity.
J3551C4
1. Pluto moves in a fairly elliptical orbit around the sun. Pluto's speed at its closest approach of 4.43×109km is 6.12 km/s.

Homework Equations

: L=mvr, F_g: (GMm/r^2), A_c: mv^2/r[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

:

I found the answer here, but I'm more interested in why we would use angular momentum. I took L=mvr and used the given variables to set Pluto's momentum at its furthest point to its momentum at its closest. so I went from L=mvr to miviri=mfvfrf.
The masses cancel, so the equation simplifies to viri = vfrf. I only came to this conclusion after a classmate hinted at me to think about angular momentum, so I'm still confused as to why angular momentum is the key to solving this, rather than Newton's universal law of gravitation set to centripetal acceleration, which gives me the wrong answer.

I'm sorry if I was unclear on anything, thanks for your time. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello J3551C4 (Jessica?), Welcome to Physics Forums.

Was there more to the problem statement? I don't see an actual question. It would appear from your attempt that you're looking for the velocity at its furthest distance from the Sun, but you haven't mentioned what that distance is.

EDIT: Okay, I see that your question is actually in the solution attempt rather than the problem statement.

Judging by what I can see of the problem statement and thread title it looks like you're looking for Pluto's velocity at aphelion (its furthest distance from the Sun), so it is an unknown quantity.

You can't evaluate the centripetal acceleration at that location without knowing the velocity (or angular angular velocity), so your proposed method of equating centripetal acceleration to gravitational acceleration there isn't viable.

Last edited:
Hello gneiLL, yes it does stand for Jessica, and thank you.

I'm sorry for the wonky format, I will try to adhere more exactly to the template in the future. Thank you very much for your explanation, it makes sense and is a lot simpler than I was trying to make it. It seems I need to go back over some concepts. Thanks again.

1. How do you calculate Pluto's velocity?

To calculate Pluto's velocity, you need to know its distance from the sun and the amount of time it takes to complete one orbit. Using the formula v = 2πr/T, where v is velocity, r is the distance from the sun, and T is the orbital period, you can determine Pluto's velocity in meters per second.

2. What is the unit of measurement for Pluto's velocity?

Pluto's velocity can be measured in meters per second or kilometers per hour, depending on the units used for distance and time. For scientific calculations, meters per second is the standard unit of measurement.

3. How does Pluto's velocity compare to other planets in our solar system?

Pluto's velocity is significantly slower than most other planets in our solar system. It travels at an average speed of 4.67 kilometers per second, which is much slower than Earth's average velocity of 29.78 kilometers per second.

4. Does Pluto's velocity change throughout its orbit?

Yes, Pluto's velocity changes throughout its orbit due to the elliptical shape of its orbit. It is fastest when it is closest to the sun (perihelion) and slowest when it is farthest from the sun (aphelion).

5. Why is calculating Pluto's velocity important?

Calculating Pluto's velocity is important for understanding its orbit and how it interacts with other objects in our solar system. It can also provide valuable information about the formation and evolution of our solar system.