Calculating Potential Energy of Iron Slab in Ferro/Anti-Ferro Magnetic States

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the potential energy surface of an iron slab with both ferromagnetic and anti-ferromagnetic behaviors. The speaker is seeking clarification on the number of possibilities for anti-ferromagnetic types in their project, as they are not a physicist.
Ave3
Hello,

I am calculating the potential energy surface of an iron slab, once with a ferro magnetic behavior and later anti ferromagnetic behavior, I know for ferromagnetic I multiply the number of atoms by its magnetic moment (I use 3 that must be a little higher than its real value),
my question here is : how many possibilities do I have for anti ferromagnetic types, I have found few things but I am not sure about the source, you the physicists are more able to solve this.

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Is this a homework assignment? If so what level of physics?

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Is this a homework assignment? If so what level of physics?
It is a sub part of my Ms. project of chemistry, I am not a physicist.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy can be calculated by multiplying the force acting on an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In the case of a magnetic field, potential energy can be calculated using the formula U = -m*B*cosθ, where U is the potential energy, m is the magnetic moment of the object, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the magnetic moment and the magnetic field.

3. What is a ferromagnetic state?

A ferromagnetic state is a state in which the magnetic moments of the atoms in a material align in the same direction, creating a strong magnetic field.

4. What is an antiferromagnetic state?

An antiferromagnetic state is a state in which the magnetic moments of the atoms in a material align in opposite directions, canceling out the overall magnetic field.

5. How does the potential energy of an iron slab change in ferro/antiferromagnetic states?

In a ferromagnetic state, the iron slab will have a higher potential energy due to the alignment of magnetic moments creating a stronger magnetic field. In an antiferromagnetic state, the iron slab will have a lower potential energy due to the cancellation of magnetic fields from the opposing alignments of magnetic moments.