Calculating Pressure for Oil Seed Pressing with 80 kW PTO Shaft

In summary, the farmer is trying to create a reciprocating motion with a tractor by using the pto shaft's power to create a back and forth motion. He is trying to calculate the pressure required to press oil from the ground using the principle of first class levers.
paulwh
hi there,

i need some advice please.

I am a farmer that wants to press some oil seed rape. i have a tractor that produces 80 kw of power at its pto shaft (Power take off) and i want to use this rotational power to produce a reciprocating motion eg back and forth motion. The pto shaft has two speeds approx 500rpm and 1000rpm

I have attatched a picture to try and show what i am trying to achieve.

What i would like to know is how i go about calculating the pressure at the piston.

I have spent many hours trawling the net trying to find the answers and calculations but as yet havent.

I am using the principle of first class levers.

I know pressure is force divided by area (approx 4" diameter piston). And force is mass x acceleration. (what mass should i be using? what in this context is acceleration?)

But how do i get 80kw of rotation to convert to a given pressure in the cylinder.

as yet i don't know the ideal pressure figure i require to press the oil but i want to try different lever lengths to give me different pressures. and knowing how to calculate it would be ideal.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully someone will be able to help

Paulwh

Attachments

• physics bitmap.bmp
    106 KB · Views: 798
Engineering news on Phys.org

This link may be able to help you out:
http://www.ulb.ac.be/sma/testcenter/Test/solve/basics/work/work.html

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks minger i am working my way through it.

Am i right in assuming that the si unit of force is Newton metres.

watts = power
1 watt = 1 Newton meter per second. (force)

therefore 80 killowats = 80000 Newton meter / second (Nm/s)

80000 Nm/s = 59004.97 ft lbf

If pressure = F/A F= 59004.97ft lbf A= (4" rad ram) 12.566" sq

59004.97/ 12.566 = 4695 psi

So if i forget about the linkage multiplication effect and just use a straight crank type mechanism i should in theory be able to generate 4695psi on a 4" ram. (i am trying to keep it basic to get my head around the topic i realize there is then calculations based on the link minger qutoed)

Thanks for the help

Paulwh

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure for oil seed pressing with 80 kW PTO shaft?

The formula for calculating pressure for oil seed pressing with 80 kW PTO shaft is Pressure (P) = Power (W) / Area (A).

2. How do you determine the power (W) and area (A) for the calculation?

The power (W) can be determined by multiplying the PTO shaft power (80 kW) by the efficiency of the press. The area (A) can be determined by measuring the size of the press plate in square meters.

3. Can this formula be used for all types of oil seeds?

Yes, this formula can be used for all types of oil seeds as long as the PTO shaft power and press plate area are accurately determined.

4. What is the unit of measurement for pressure in this calculation?

The unit of measurement for pressure in this calculation is Pascal (Pa). However, it is often expressed in kilopascals (kPa) for convenience.

5. Is this calculation affected by the type of press being used?

Yes, the type of press being used can affect the efficiency and therefore the power and area values used in the calculation. It is important to accurately determine these values for the specific press being used in order to get an accurate pressure calculation.