Calculating Protein Concentration w/ Bradford Assay

In summary, the problem involves determining the protein concentration of 1ml of protein A using the Bradford Assay with known BSA protein standards and a 5 times dilution. The standard curve was obtained as y = 66.717x and with an average absorbance of 0.497, the calculated concentration was 0.0372 mg/ml. The answer in the textbook is 0.372 mg/ml, but it is possible that there were changes made to the problem statement and answer after proofing.
tvtokyo

Homework Statement

Hi, I have one more question about the Bradford Assay. This one involves dilution.

Given 1ml of protein A, I am to determine its protein concentration (in mg/ml) using Bradford Assay (with known BSA protein standards).
Also, Under a 5 times dilution, the average absorbance is 0.497.

Homework Equations

The standard curve I obtained is:
upload_2014-12-26_10-35-0.png

The Attempt at a Solution

From the standard curve,
y = 66.717x
With absorbance = 0.497
0.497 = 66.717x
x = 0.00744 ug/ul
Since there is a dilution factor of 5
New x = 0.00744 * 5 = 0.0372 ug/ul = 0.0372 mg/ml ?? (is this correct?)

However, the correct answer is 0.372 mg/ml . What did I did wrongly??

Physics news on Phys.org
tvtokyo said:
x = 0.00744 ug/ul
Looks good.
tvtokyo said:
New x = 0.00744 * 5 = 0.0372 ug/ul = 0.0372 mg/ml ??
Looks good.

Answer keys in textbooks are "edited/proofed" by "slave labor," aka grad students and post-docs. Often, "half" changes are made after proofing --- problem statements change, and answers don't.

In your other question you clearly ignored part of the information given, hard to comment on this one not seeing the whole problem.

Is it another part of the same problem? Might be best in future to get all the questions together before asking for help.

Your calculations are correct, but you have made a small error in your units. The units for the standard curve are ug/ml, not ug/ul. So when you multiply by the dilution factor of 5, you should get a final concentration of 0.0372 mg/ml, which is the same as the correct answer of 0.372 mg/ml.

What is the Bradford assay?

The Bradford assay is a common method used to calculate the concentration of protein in a sample. It involves the use of a dye that binds to proteins, causing a color change that can be measured and used to determine the protein concentration.

How does the Bradford assay work?

The Bradford assay works by measuring the absorbance of a dye, Coomassie Brilliant Blue, at a specific wavelength. The dye binds to the proteins in the sample and causes a shift in its absorbance, which can be measured using a spectrophotometer. The amount of dye bound to the proteins is proportional to the protein concentration in the sample.

What are the advantages of using the Bradford assay?

The Bradford assay is a quick and simple method for calculating protein concentration. It requires only a small amount of sample and can be completed in a relatively short amount of time. Additionally, it is a highly sensitive method and can accurately measure protein concentrations in a wide range.

Are there any limitations to the Bradford assay?

While the Bradford assay is a widely used method, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for all types of proteins, as some may interfere with the dye or not bind to it at all. It also requires a standard curve to be generated using known protein concentrations, which may introduce some variability in the results.

How can I optimize my Bradford assay results?

To obtain accurate results with the Bradford assay, it is important to use the correct wavelength for measuring the absorbance and to ensure that the samples are properly diluted. It is also recommended to use a standard curve with a broad range of protein concentrations to improve the accuracy of the results.