Calculating Q points for diodes

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the Q-points of two diodes, D1 and D2, using the empirical junction diode equation. The correct answers for the Q-points of diode D1 are provided as 4.18mA and 0.66V, but the person in the conversation is getting different results. They are advised to use node voltage analysis to solve the transcendental equation and reduce the source and resistor network using Thevenin's theorem. This will result in an equation of a straight line and an exponential (or logarithmic) equation, which can be solved to find the correct Q-point values. The person is also given a hint to use load-line analysis.
whatphysics

Homework Statement

In Figure Q22, the empirical junction diode equation is : (eqn is in the picture attached)
for both diodes D1 and D2, where VT = 26 mV at room temperature, n = 1, IS = 3.5 x 10-14 A, R1 = 600 Ω, R2 = 300 Ω, R3 = 200 Ω, VS = 9 V. Calculate the Q-points ID = _____ mA and VD = _____ V of diode D1.

Homework Equations

Shockley Diode Equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take Id=Vs-Vd/R3 and Vd=0.026ln(Id/Is)
I would try to sub in value of Vd=0.7V into Id eqn to get Id value and then beginning the iteration process and continue this until I get a non changing Id and Vd values to 3 d.p. However, I didn't get the right answers.
Was I wrong to take R3 only for the Id equation?

The right answers are 4.18mA and 0.66V
The answers I got are way off 41.39mA and 0.72V.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 940
Physics news on Phys.org
whatphysics said:
I tried to take Id=Vs-Vd/R3

That's not correct. There will be a voltage drop across R1.

CWatters said:
That's not correct. There will be a voltage drop across R1.
So should it be Id=Vs-Vd/(R3+R1) since R3 and R1 are in series?

whatphysics said:
since R3 and R1 are in series?
They are not.

Use node voltage analysis. You will get an equation of a straight line in terms of Vd and Id, and an exponential (or logarithmic) equation in terms of Vd and Id. You need to solve these two equations to find Vd and Id.

How do you solve this transcendental equation?

Last edited:
Hint: Thevenin to reduce the source and resistor network first. Then it's a classic load-line situation.

Likes CWatters and cnh1995
+1

whatphysics said:
So should it be Id=Vs-Vd/(R3+R1) since R3 and R1 are in series?

Unfortunately it's more complicated than that because of R2.

See the replies above for the way forward.

1. How do I calculate the Q point for a diode?

The Q point for a diode can be calculated using the diode equation, which is given as V = I * R + VD, where V is the voltage across the diode, I is the current through the diode, R is the resistance of the circuit, and VD is the voltage drop across the diode. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the Q point, which is the point where the diode is biased to operate in the forward direction.

2. What factors affect the Q point for a diode?

The Q point for a diode is affected by several factors, including the voltage and current applied to the diode, the resistance of the circuit, and the temperature. Additionally, the type of diode (e.g. silicon or germanium) and its characteristics (e.g. forward voltage drop) can also impact the Q point.

3. Why is it important to calculate the Q point for a diode?

The Q point is important because it determines the operating point of the diode and ensures that it is biased correctly. If the Q point is too high, the diode may be over-biased and fail. On the other hand, if the Q point is too low, the diode may not conduct properly and cause distortion in the circuit.

4. What is the typical range for the Q point in a diode circuit?

The typical range for the Q point in a diode circuit is between 0.5 and 0.7 volts for silicon diodes and between 0.2 and 0.3 volts for germanium diodes. However, this range may vary depending on the specific diode and the circuit it is used in.

5. How can I adjust the Q point for a diode in a circuit?

The Q point for a diode can be adjusted by changing the voltage or current applied to the diode, adjusting the resistance of the circuit, or using a different type of diode. It is important to carefully calculate and adjust the Q point to ensure proper operation of the diode and the circuit as a whole.