Calculating Q Value at Resonant Frequency - Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the problem is asking for the value of Q, the quality factor, of a driven harmonic oscillator with a resonant frequency of 380 Hz and an amplitude of 25.0 times the force applied divided by the mass of the oscillator. Using the equations for resonance and the definition of Q, we can calculate the value of Q by first finding the damping coefficient and the damping ratio.
LBloom

Homework Statement

The amplitude of a driven harmonic oscillator reaches a value of 25.0Fo /m at a resonant frequency of 380 Hz. What is Q?

Homework Equations

Q=m(wo)/b

Q=wo/([tex]\Delta[/tex]w)

w=2[tex]\pi[/tex]f

wo= (k/m)^1/2

w'=(w0^2-y^2)^.5

y=b/2m

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I don't know where exactly to start. They tell me that the resonant frequency, but is that wo (natural angular frequency) or w' (the frequency when damping is considered.) Also, I don't know what they mean by amplitude is 25 Fo/m. Force divided by mass isn't in units of distance (although in the textbook its Fo/k which makes more sense, but its another edition)

In an older version of the textbook, everything is the same except the resonant frequency is 383 and the amplitude is 23.7 F0/k. Somehow the value of Q is also 23.7. Can anyone help me start/decipher this problem? I understand damped and forced oscillations, (this is the last qu) but i just can't wrap my head around it

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand your confusion with this problem. Let's break it down step by step.

First, we need to determine what is meant by "amplitude is 25.0Fo/m". This statement is referring to the maximum displacement of the oscillator from its equilibrium position. In other words, at the resonant frequency of 380 Hz, the oscillator is oscillating with an amplitude of 25.0 times the force applied (Fo) divided by the mass (m) of the oscillator. This means that the maximum displacement (A) can be calculated as A = 25.0Fo/m.

Next, we need to determine the value of the natural angular frequency (wo) at the resonant frequency of 380 Hz. We can use the equation w = 2πf to calculate this. Therefore, wo = 2π(380 Hz) = 2385.46 rad/s.

Now, let's look at the equation for Q. There are two forms, but they are essentially the same. Q = m(wo)/b is used when the damping coefficient (b) is known, and Q = wo/Δw is used when the damping ratio (Δ) is known. In this problem, we are not given the damping coefficient or the damping ratio directly. However, we can calculate them using the given information.

We know that at the resonant frequency, the maximum displacement (A) is 25.0 times the force applied (Fo) divided by the mass (m). We can express this in terms of the damping coefficient as A = (25.0Fo)/b. We also know that at resonance, the natural angular frequency (wo) is equal to the damped angular frequency (w'). Therefore, we can write the equation for w' as w' = (wo^2 - y^2)^0.5, where y = b/2m.

Using these equations, we can now solve for the damping coefficient (b) and the damping ratio (Δ). We can then substitute these values into the equation Q = m(wo)/b to find the value of Q.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Don't hesitate to ask for more clarification if needed. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Calculating Q Value at Resonant Frequency - Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon in which a system or object vibrates at its natural frequency in response to an external force or stimulus.

2. How is resonance related to Q value?

Q value, also known as quality factor, is a measure of how well a system can maintain its energy at resonance. Higher Q values indicate a more efficient system with less energy loss.

3. What factors affect the Q value of a resonant system?

The Q value of a resonant system is affected by factors such as the stiffness, damping, and mass of the system, as well as external factors such as temperature and external forces.

4. How can resonance and Q value be applied in real-world situations?

Resonance and Q value have many practical applications, such as in musical instruments, where the resonance of the instrument's body amplifies the sound produced by the strings. They are also used in tuning circuits in electronics and in medical imaging techniques.

5. Can resonance and Q value be harmful?

In some cases, resonance can lead to destructive vibrations, which can be harmful to structures or mechanical systems. However, proper design and control can minimize these effects and utilize resonance and Q value for beneficial purposes.