Calculating Real Depth from Apparent Depth and Observation Angle

• Thread starter John982
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Depth
In summary, Robert is looking at a school of fish below the lake surface and estimates the apparent depth to be two meters. His observation angle is forty five degrees, and based on Snell's law, he calculates that the real depth of the school is three meters.
John982
Robert is on a ship looking at a school of fish below the lake surface. He estimates the apparent depth of the school to be two meters, and that his observation angle is forty five degrees. Calculate the real depth of the school.
Here is what I think we know:

θr=45°, θi=?, ni=1.00, nr=1.33
Because the index of refraction goes from a lower value to a higher one the light will bend towards the normal which I drew in the diagram.

So if we want to find θi would it be sinθi=((sin45°)(1.33))/(1.00)? I'm a bit lost and would really appreciate some help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
John982 said:
Here is what I think we know:

θr=45°, θi=?, ni=1.00, nr=1.33
Because the index of refraction goes from a lower value to a higher one the light will bend towards the normal which I drew in the diagram.

So if we want to find θi would it be sinθi=((sin45°)(1.33))/(1.00)? I'm a bit lost and would really appreciate some help.

Close. Snell's law says: [itex] \frac{sin(\theta 1)}{sin(\theta 2)} = \frac{n2}{n1} [/itex].

In this case [itex] \theta 1 = 45°~,~n1 = 1.00~,~n2 = 1.33 [/itex]. It looks like you've got your n1 and n2 swapped.

Then based on that it would be: sinθ2= (1.00/1.33)(sin45) -> θ2=32.1°. Now that I have the angle I can use tanθ=opp/adj correct? But how do I know what the opposite side length is?

John982 said:
Then based on that it would be: sinθ2= (1.00/1.33)(sin45) -> θ2=32.1°. Now that I have the angle I can use tanθ=opp/adj correct? But how do I know what the opposite side length is?

If you know θ2 (which is θi on your diagram) then you can calculate the angle [itex] \phi [/itex] between the horizontal water surface and the light ray. What triangle side length is the same regardless of the depth?

attachment.php?attachmentid=41296&stc=1&d=1322359356.jpg

Attachments

• Fig1.jpg
    Fig1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 411
The horizontal side x does not change. Could you find the angle by subtracting θ2 from 90° which would make ϕ 58°?

John982 said:
The horizontal side x does not change. Could you find the angle by subtracting θ2 from 90° which would make ϕ 58°?

That's the idea!

So could I do the same thing to find x by subtracting 45° from 90° which is 45° and if the length of the apparent depth is 2 meters then x must also be 2 because 45-45-90 triangles have legs of equal length?

John982 said:
So could I do the same thing to find x by subtracting 45° from 90° which is 45° and if the length of the apparent depth is 2 meters then x must also be 2 because 45-45-90 triangles have legs of equal length?

Absolutely!

our real depth then is 2/Tan32.1=3.19 m. Thank you so much for your help.

1. What is actual depth?

Actual depth refers to the true physical distance from the surface of an object to its deepest point. It is an important measurement in various fields such as geology, oceanography, and construction.

2. How is actual depth measured?

Actual depth can be measured using various methods depending on the object or environment being studied. Some common techniques include using sonar, radar, depth sounders, and even physically measuring with tools like a ruler or tape measure.

3. What is the difference between actual depth and apparent depth?

Actual depth is the true physical distance, while apparent depth is the perceived depth by an observer. Apparent depth can be affected by factors such as refraction or the angle of view, making it different from the actual depth.

4. Why is knowing the actual depth important?

Knowing the actual depth is important for various reasons. In geology, it can help us understand the structure of the Earth's crust and locate valuable resources. In oceanography, it is crucial for navigation and understanding the ocean's topography. In construction, it is essential for building stable structures.

5. Can actual depth change over time?

Yes, actual depth can change over time due to natural processes such as erosion or human activities like dredging. It is important to regularly monitor and update measurements of actual depth in order to accurately track any changes.