Calculating Required Air Temperature for Hot Air Balloon Stability

• Thread starter unctarheels1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the required average temperature of air in a hot air balloon in order to maintain a constant height. The solution involves calculating the buoyant force and weight of the balloon and passengers, and then using the density of air at different temperatures to estimate the required temperature. There may be a slight variation in the answer depending on the values used.
unctarheels1
Need to see if I worked this right.
Hot air balloon floating in air has at 0 degrees C ( desnsity = 1.293kg/m^3). The mass of the balloon and passengers is 1650kg. If they want to stay at a constant height, estimate the required average temperature of the air in the balloon. Assume the volume of air in the balloon is 5000m^3 and the density of air varies with temperature according to the following information.
-10 degrees C = 1.341 kg/m^3
-5 degrees C = 1.316 kg/m^3
0 degrees C = 1.293 kg/m^3
+5 degrees C = 1.269 kg/m^3
+10 degrees C = 1.247 kg/m^3
MY SOLUTION:
B = (1.293kg/m^3)(5000m^3)(9.81m/s^2) = 63422N Buoyant Force
Weight of Balloon is (1650kg)(9.81m/s^2) = 16187N
63422N-16187N=47235N
47235N/9.81m/s^2 = 4815kg
Density of air in balloon is 4185kg/5000m^3 = .963kg/m^3
So here I would have to assume the Pressure is standard and is equal to 101325 so from row=P/RT it would give me a temp in degrees C of 93.5. I assume that pressure because it seems that was the value he used in the table to calculate the density for the temps from -10 to +10.
Have I made any mistakes? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That's about right. The answer may vary by +/- 1-2 K depending on the pressure, air density and gas constant used.

Thanks for the response. Just worried that I made a mistake somewhere along the line of solving this problem.

What does "Please check this problem" mean?

"Please check this problem" is a request for someone to review and assess a specific issue or difficulty. It could be related to a scientific experiment, research paper, or any other scientific problem that needs to be examined.

Why is it important to ask someone to check a problem?

Asking someone to check a problem can help identify any errors or flaws that may have been overlooked. It provides an opportunity to get a fresh perspective and catch any mistakes that could affect the accuracy or validity of the scientific work.

Who should I ask to check a problem?

The person you ask to check a problem should have relevant knowledge and expertise in the specific field of study. This could be a colleague, mentor, or peer who is familiar with the subject matter and can provide valuable insights.

What information should I provide when asking someone to check a problem?

When asking someone to check a problem, it is important to provide clear and concise details about the problem at hand. This could include the background information, methods used, and any specific areas of concern that you would like them to focus on.

How should I handle feedback or suggestions from someone checking my problem?

It is important to be open to feedback and suggestions from someone checking your problem. Consider them carefully and objectively, and be willing to make any necessary changes to improve the accuracy and quality of your work. Remember that constructive criticism can help you grow as a scientist.