Calculating Resistance of 25W Lamp & Resistor in Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the resistance of a 25-watt light bulb connected in series with a 19 Ω resistor and a 24 V DC voltage source. The resistance of the lamp is found to be 23.04 Ohms and in this connection, the equivalent resistance is 42.04 Ohms.
chawki

Homework Statement

a) Bulb power is 25 W 24 V voltage.
b) 25-watt light bulb and resistor, whose resistance is 19 Ω, connected in series and connected to 24 V DC voltage. In this case, passing within 0.71 A of current.

Homework Equations

a) Calculate the resistance of the lamp.
b) Calculate the resistance of the lamp in this connection.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
Rlamp = V2/P = 242/25 = 23.04 Ohms.

b)
Req = Rlamp+Rr
V = Req * I
Req = 24/0.71 = 33.80 Ohms.

Rlamp = Req - Rr
Rlamp = 33.80-19 = 14.8 Ohms ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there, great job on your calculations! Your answer for part a) is correct, the resistance of the lamp is 23.04 Ohms. For part b), you are on the right track but I believe there is a small error in your calculation. The equation for calculating the equivalent resistance in a series circuit is Req = Rlamp + Rr, so the correct answer would be 23.04 + 19 = 42.04 Ohms. This means that the resistance of the lamp in this connection is 42.04 Ohms. Keep up the good work!

Related to Calculating Resistance of 25W Lamp & Resistor in Series

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much an object or material impedes the flow of current through it. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is dependent on factors such as the material, length, and cross-sectional area of the object.

What is the formula for calculating resistance?

The formula for calculating resistance in a circuit is R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

How do you calculate the resistance of a 25W lamp and resistor in series?

To calculate the resistance of a 25W lamp and resistor in series, you will need to use the formula R = V/I. First, measure the voltage and current in the circuit using a multimeter. Then, divide the voltage by the current to get the resistance. Keep in mind that the 25W lamp and resistor will have different resistance values, so you will need to add them together to get the total resistance.

Why is it important to calculate resistance in a circuit?

Calculating resistance in a circuit is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the circuit and ensure that it is operating efficiently. It also helps us determine the appropriate components to use in a circuit and predict the amount of current that will flow through it.

What factors can affect the resistance of a circuit?

The resistance of a circuit can be affected by factors such as the material, length, and cross-sectional area of the conducting material, as well as the temperature and presence of other components in the circuit. Additionally, the type of current (AC or DC) and the frequency can also affect the resistance.