Calculating resistances via a potentiometer

In summary: The schematic given is non-standard (according to what I'm used to, anyway) and vague when combined with the problem statement. For example, what currents are being measured? "unknown resistance X is 68.5 cm" requires further explanation, I don't know what this means.
Shivang kohlii

Homework Statement

Figure shows a potentiometer circuit for comparison of two resistances , the balance point with standard resistor R = 10 ohm , is found to be 58.3 , while that with unknown resistance X is 68.5 cm , determine the value of X .
b) what might you do if you failed to find the balance point with the given cell end e?
1550843684714-2090077966.jpg

Homework Equations

R/X = L1/L2
K = potential gradient across AB
I1 = current when R is connected
I2 = current when X is connected
3.attempt at a solution
I understand that the potential difference across AP = EF
I.e. k×58.3= I1 × R , where I is the current when R is connected to circuit
And I1×R = E - (2)
Also when X is connected and R is removed ,
k× 68.5 = I2 × X
Also I2 × X = E ... - (1)
But then that means that from 1 and 2 , k × 58.3 = k× 68.5 ? That's obviously wrong!
I don't get it ... I guess somehow I1 × R = E1 and I2× X = E2 with E1 is not equal to E2... If I do that answer comes rightly ...
But shouldn't E1 = E2 as ,
potential difference across EF = potential difference across LM = E always ??

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1550843684714-2090077966.jpg
    1550843684714-2090077966.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 488
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shivang kohlii said:
from 1 and 2 , k × 58.3 = k× 68.5 ? That's obviously wrong!
Pity you use E in the picture and in the equations -- with different meaning.
Only possible conclusion, my dear Watson, is that E in case of I1 is not equal to the E in case I2. In other words: ##\varepsilon## doesn't come from an ideal voltage source.
Shivang kohlii said:
But shouldn't E1 = E2 as ,
potential difference across EF = potential difference across LM = E always ??
Apparently not !

BvU said:
Pity you use E in the picture and in the equations -- with different meaning.
Only possible conclusion, my dear Watson, is that E in case of I1 is not equal to the E in case I2. In other words: ##\varepsilon## doesn't come from an ideal voltage source.
Apparently not !
I didn't ask for your pity mister , only solution.. also don't presume I didn't consider the non ideal voltage source with some internal resistance , I didn't add it to my answer as the question doesn't mention any internal resistance .. which is odd for the 12th level book!

Shivang kohlii said:
I didn't ask for your pity mister
I didn't offer it, on the contrary: it was an ironic reproach, intended to gently steer you in a direction that avoids future errors caused by this kind of sloppiness.

What I offered was the only explanation I could come up with. I have seen this circuit before in PF, you're welcome to search for it.
12th level sounds like a computer game. Guess it's an age indication in your culture, like around 18 ?

Sorry, you have to be using that textbook. The schematic given is non-standard (according to what I'm used to, anyway) and vague when combined with the problem statement. For example, what currents are being measured? "unknown resistance X is 68.5 cm" requires further explanation, I don't know what this means.
Problem solutions are frequently an exercise in describing the question carefully so that the answer becomes more readily apparent. I would suggest redrawing/rephrasing this more carefully either for your own understanding, or for ours. You will get better assistance that way.

What is a potentiometer and how does it work?

A potentiometer is an electronic component used for measuring and adjusting electrical resistance. It consists of a resistive track with a sliding contact (wiper) that can be moved along the track to vary the resistance. The resistance between one end of the track and the wiper is measured and used to calculate the overall resistance of the circuit.

What is the purpose of using a potentiometer to calculate resistance?

Potentiometers are used to measure and adjust the resistance in a circuit. They allow for fine-tuning of resistance values, making them useful in applications such as volume controls, dimmer switches, and temperature controls.

How do you calculate resistance using a potentiometer?

To calculate the resistance using a potentiometer, you need to measure the resistance between one end of the resistive track and the wiper. This can be done using a multimeter. The overall resistance of the circuit is then calculated by subtracting the measured resistance from the total resistance of the potentiometer.

What factors can affect the accuracy of resistance calculations using a potentiometer?

The accuracy of resistance calculations using a potentiometer can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the potentiometer, the accuracy of the multimeter used for measurement, and the placement of the wiper on the resistive track. Changes in temperature and humidity can also affect the resistance readings.

What are some common sources of error when using a potentiometer to calculate resistance?

Common sources of error when using a potentiometer to calculate resistance include poor quality or damaged potentiometers, loose connections, and inaccurate measurement tools. Inexperienced users may also make errors in reading and recording resistance values or in calculating the overall resistance of the circuit.