Calculating Resultant Force of 2 Fluids in a Tank

In summary: But if there were more oil above the water line, then there would be a downward pressure on the water and that would not be included in the ρgh equation. However, there is no real way to know for sure without doing experiments!
stuharis
1. A tank with vertical walls, 2m wide and 2m long and 2.5m high, is filled with 4800 litres of water (density 1000 kg/m3) and 3200 litres of light oil (density 900 kg/m3). Calculate the magnitude and location of the resultant force on each of the vertical walls of the tank.

2. By doing some simple math the water goes up to 1.2 m of the tank and the oil continues further to a combined height of 2 m.

I solve this kind of problems by taking dF= ρghwdh. For the oil I take the integral from 0 to 0.8 and for water i take the same integral from 0.8 to 2. Then I find the moment for the side with the same way and through that i find the position of the force.

I know the solution is right for a single fluid. But is this right for 2 or more fluids on top of each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what is the pressure at the oil-water interface? Do you think that the oil is heavier than the water?

I think the oil is above the water. What is bothering me is, if the water force is equal to dF=ρwghwdh from 1.2 to 2 or should i also add the force that the oil apllies to the water and use df=ρwghwdh(this integral from 1.2 to 2) + ρoghwl to add the pressure the oil adds?

ρw=density of water
ρo=density of oil

I guess you will need to decide whether it makes sense or not for the oil to press down on the water. :)

Yeap but I cannot really decide :S

Since oil stands on top of water isn't it logical to apply some pressure to the water?

Does anyone know?

It is logical, yes.

If it were just more water above the 1.2 m mark, it would contribute downward force and hence be part of the 'h' in the hydrostatic pressure ρgh. This is oil which weighs a little less, so it contributes a little less downward force (but not that much less!).

Related to Calculating Resultant Force of 2 Fluids in a Tank

1. How do you calculate the resultant force of two fluids in a tank?

To calculate the resultant force of two fluids in a tank, you will need to know the densities and heights of each fluid. The formula for calculating resultant force is: Resultant Force = (Density of Fluid 1 x Height of Fluid 1) + (Density of Fluid 2 x Height of Fluid 2).

2. Can the resultant force of two fluids in a tank ever be negative?

No, the resultant force of two fluids in a tank can never be negative. Since force is a vector quantity, it can only have a magnitude and direction. A negative resultant force would imply a direction opposite to the intended direction, which is not possible in this scenario.

3. What is the unit for resultant force of two fluids in a tank?

The unit for resultant force of two fluids in a tank is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit for force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. How does the height of the fluids impact the resultant force?

The height of the fluids has a direct impact on the resultant force. The higher the height of a fluid, the greater its contribution to the resultant force. This is because a greater height means a larger amount of fluid, which in turn leads to a larger force.

5. Is there a limit to the number of fluids that can be included in the calculation of resultant force?

There is no theoretical limit to the number of fluids that can be included in the calculation of resultant force. However, the more fluids that are present, the more complex the calculation becomes. It is recommended to limit the number of fluids to a manageable amount for accurate and efficient calculations.