Calculating Resultant Load on a Structure with a Tensioned Rope

In summary, the person is asking for help with a homework question about calculating the resultant load on a balcony edge from a rope tied to the top of a building. The rope is 22m long and hangs vertically onto a 15m wide balcony with a load of 15 kN and an angle of 33 degrees from vertical. The person is also asked if they have drawn a sketch with relevant forces and if they know how to draw free body diagrams.
Trent
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello all,

Can somebody please help me with the following question?

I have a rope tied to the top of the building, this drops down vertically 22m onto a balcony which is 15m wide.
The rope is then passed over the balcony edge and then hung vertically.

The load applied to the rope is 15 kN.

The angle of the rope from the top of the building to the balcony is 33 degrees from vertical.

My question- how do I work out the resultant load acting on the balcony edge applied from the rope to the structure ?
I hope I have explained this enough...

Thanks and appreciate any help with this!

Trent

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question?

Did you draw a sketch with all relevant forces?

Yes a home work question.

I hope that this helps
upload_2018-5-3_19-0-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-3_19-0-43.png
    upload_2018-5-3_19-0-43.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 418
  • upload_2018-5-3_19-0-49.png
    upload_2018-5-3_19-0-49.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 536
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Do you know how to draw free body diagrams?

1. What is a resultant load?

A resultant load is the combined effect of all the individual loads acting on a structure or object. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each load to determine the overall effect on the structure.

2. How is resultant load calculated?

To calculate the resultant load, you must first determine the individual loads acting on the structure. Then, you can use vector addition to combine all the loads and determine the resultant load's magnitude and direction.

3. What factors can affect the resultant load?

The resultant load can be affected by various factors, including the type and magnitude of individual loads, the angle and direction of each load, and the structural properties of the object or structure.

4. Why is it important to consider resultant load in engineering and design?

Resultant load is crucial to consider in engineering and design because it determines the overall stability and safety of a structure. Neglecting to account for the resultant load can lead to structural failures and potential hazards.

5. How can resultant load be minimized?

Resultant load can be minimized by carefully considering the placement and distribution of individual loads. By adjusting the angle, direction, and magnitude of each load, engineers can minimize the overall effect of the resultant load on the structure.