Calculating Rotational Kinetic Energy of a Baton

In summary, the rotational kinetic energy of a 500 g baton twirled at 150 rpm about its center of mass is 4.5J. This can be calculated using the formula KE_rot = 0.5 I w^2, where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity. After correcting a mistake in the calculation of the moment of inertia, the correct answer is obtained.
sp3sp2sp

Homework Statement

A drum major twirls a 94-cm-long, 500 g baton about its center of mass at 150 rpm. What is the baton's rotational kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

KE_rot = 0.5 I w^2

The Attempt at a Solution

w = (150rpm*2pi)/60 = 15.708rad/s

I = (1/12)*0.5kg * 0.94m = 0.039167kg*m^2

KE_rot = 0.5 I w^2

KE_rot = 0.5(0.039167)(15.708rad/s)^2
= 4.8J

says wrong answer.
Cant figure out what I am doing wrong
thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the moment of inertia: you do kg times m and you obtain kg m^2.

thanks..ok forgot to square so I = (1/12)MR^2
I = (1/12) 0.5kg ((0.94m)^2) = 0.03682kg*m^2

so KE_rot = 0.5(0.03682)(15.708rad/s)^2 = 4.5J

(i just want to confirm correct before I submit answer again)
thanks for the help

I think it is correct.

1. How do you calculate the rotational kinetic energy of a baton?

To calculate the rotational kinetic energy of a baton, you will need to know its moment of inertia and angular velocity. The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is: KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

2. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the object, as well as how that mass is distributed relative to the axis of rotation. In the case of a baton, the moment of inertia will depend on its length, mass, and how the mass is distributed along its length.

3. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a baton?

The moment of inertia of a baton can be calculated using the formula I = 1/12 * m * L^2, where m is the mass of the baton and L is the length of the baton. This assumes that the mass is evenly distributed along the length of the baton.

4. Does the mass of the baton affect its rotational kinetic energy?

Yes, the mass of the baton has a direct effect on its rotational kinetic energy. The greater the mass, the greater the rotational kinetic energy. This is because the moment of inertia, which is a factor in the calculation of rotational kinetic energy, is directly proportional to the mass of the object.

5. How does the angular velocity of the baton affect its rotational kinetic energy?

The angular velocity of the baton also has a significant impact on its rotational kinetic energy. The higher the angular velocity, the greater the rotational kinetic energy. This is because the formula for rotational kinetic energy includes the square of the angular velocity, meaning that a small increase in angular velocity can result in a much larger increase in rotational kinetic energy.