Calculating sand penetration of ice solid from height X

In summary, Matt is trying to figure out how much height an object needs to be dropped to penetrate a substrate and hit a target buried beneath the surface.
MattRNR2
G’day physics forum

This is a purely hypothetical question and my knowledge of physics is rather limited so I’ve no idea if answering it is even possible however here goes:

Imagine a 30cm long timber stick approximately 3mm in diameter that has been placed vertically in an inverted pyramid or conical mold (approximately the size of a ice-cream cone) filled with water and frozen so when removed it is frozen in the middle of a solid block of ice that tapers to a point.

I’m trying to work out at what altitude this object would need to be dropped in order to impact a surface composed of a certain substrate (say sand) and penetrate such that n cm (say 40cm) of the timber post would be exposed above the surface and the block of ice and ‘1m – n cm’ (i.e. 60cm) were buried beneath the surface.

I’m guessing such an equation would require a measure of the substrate density, weight and dimension of the ice and gravitational acceleration.

If anyone out there has any idea how this can be achieved or at the very least whether or not this can be achieved give us a yell.

Regards

MattRNR2

Incidentally there is a beer riding on this so suffice to say I'm taking it pretty seriously

Physics news on Phys.org
MattRNR2 said:
30cm long timber stick
MattRNR2 said:
(say 40cm) of the timber post would be exposed above
MattRNR2 said:
and ‘1m – n cm’ (i.e. 60cm) were buried beneath the surface.
MattRNR2 said:
can be achieved
"Achieved?" Yes, ... BUT ...
Most "bar bets" are rigged. The rigging on this bet may be as simple as stretching the 30 cm stick to 1 meter. If that's just a transcription artifact, sure, there are ways to work out drop heights for what you've described.

It will depend on the sand (composition, amount of water, ...), the angle of the ice, the mass of the ice and many other factors.

60 cm sounds very problematic with an ice-cream-cone-shaped object.

Google "young penetration equations" for a Sandia report. Assuming that the ice remains intact, they should work.

MattRNR2 said:
Imagine a 30cm long timber stick approximately 3mm in diameter that has been placed vertically in an inverted pyramid or conical mold (approximately the size of a ice-cream cone) filled with water and frozen so when removed it is frozen in the middle of a solid block of ice that tapers to a point.

I’m trying to work out at what altitude this object would need to be dropped in order to impact a surface composed of a certain substrate (say sand) and penetrate such that n cm (say 40cm) of the timber post would be exposed above the surface and the block of ice and ‘1m – n cm’ (i.e. 60cm) were buried beneath the surface.
and your 30cm stick suddenly became 100cm ( 1m) long ??

1. How do I calculate the sand penetration of ice solid from a given height?

The sand penetration of ice solid can be calculated using the formula: SP = (H/2) * (1 + (H/d)) where SP is the sand penetration, H is the height of the ice solid, and d is the diameter of the sand particles. This formula assumes that the sand particles fall vertically onto the ice solid.

2. What is the significance of calculating sand penetration of ice solid?

Calculating the sand penetration of ice solid is important in understanding the strength and stability of ice structures. It can also be used in predicting the effects of sand erosion on ice surfaces.

3. Can the sand penetration of ice solid be calculated for any type of ice?

Yes, the formula for calculating sand penetration is applicable to all types of ice, including sea ice, freshwater ice, and glacier ice.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement for sand penetration of ice solid?

Sand penetration is typically measured in millimeters (mm) or inches (in). However, the unit of measurement can vary depending on the specific application or research study.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of sand penetration calculations?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of sand penetration calculations, such as wind speed, ice temperature, and the shape and size of the sand particles. It is important to consider these factors when conducting calculations and interpreting the results.

Back