Calculating Silver Chloride Solubility at 25℃

• Thread starter staka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, to calculate the solubility of silver chloride at 25℃, we can use the Ksp value of 1.8x10^-10 and the equation Ksp=[Ag][Cl]. By taking the square root of 1.8x10^-10, we can find the molar solubility of both Ag and Cl to be 1.3x10^-5M. This also accounts for the equilibrium reaction AgCl⇔Ag+Cl.
staka

Homework Statement

Calculate the solubility of silver chloride at 25℃.

Ksp of silver chloride at 25℃=1.8x10^-10

Homework Equations

AgCl⇔Ag+Cl (I believe)
So, Ksp=[Ag][Cl]

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is the Ksp of silver chloride at that temperature. I have no idea what to do from here. Do I need to know something about Ag or Cl?

Physics news on Phys.org
I attempted..
Ksp=1.8x10^-10
1.8x10^-10=[Ag][Cl]
[Ag]=[Cl]=√1.8x10^-10
=1.3x10^-5M

So I got the solubility for both elements.. do I just add since AgCl⇔Ag+Cl?

Okay, nevermind. 1.3x10^-5M is AgCl's molar solubility..

1. What is the formula for calculating the solubility of silver chloride at 25℃?

The formula for calculating the solubility of silver chloride at 25℃ is as follows:
Ksp = [Ag+][Cl-], where Ksp is the solubility product constant and [Ag+] and [Cl-] represent the molar concentrations of silver ions and chloride ions, respectively.

2. How do I determine the molar concentrations of silver and chloride ions?

The molar concentrations of silver and chloride ions can be determined by dividing the number of moles of each ion by the volume of the solution in liters. This information can be obtained from a chemical equation or experimentally.

3. What is the typical solubility of silver chloride at 25℃?

The typical solubility of silver chloride at 25℃ is approximately 1.3 x 10^-5 moles per liter. However, this value may vary depending on the source and purity of the silver chloride.

4. How does temperature affect the solubility of silver chloride?

The solubility of silver chloride generally increases with increasing temperature. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the particles to overcome the attractive forces holding them together, leading to a greater solubility.

5. Can the solubility of silver chloride be affected by other substances in the solution?

Yes, the solubility of silver chloride can be affected by the presence of other substances in the solution. For example, common ion effect can decrease the solubility of silver chloride if there is already a high concentration of either silver or chloride ions in the solution.