Calculating Speed and Distance for a Pneumatic Tricycle

In summary, the conversation centered around the planning and calculations for building a small pneumatic tricycle. The speaker had completed some calculations but needed help with the rest, especially regarding the vehicle's speed and distance. They also mentioned the need to account for resistance increasing with the square of speed and the decreasing air pressure in the tank over time. The conversation ended with a suggestion to experiment instead of relying solely on calculations.
Le Luc
Hello. I am working on planning to build a small pnumatic tricycle. I got far in my calculations, but not quite finished because I am stuck. If someone could check my math, that'd be great, but my problem starts at the second line.
4. In the description, they say it has a push factor of 0.44. So 100psi in tank means 44lbs of push force. I made a table of that and found a bunch of values for y (100psi in tank means 44 lbs of push in the piston, 99psi in the tank means 43.56 lbs of push in the piston, etc...)
5. I converted all the y values (the values that describe the piston push) into Newtons.
6. Then i subtracted the 4.75N of friction from the 195.7N (from the 100psi of air feeding the cylender and making it push 44lbs) and got the net force of ~196N if the tank was constantly at 100psi (195.7 is also the first on the list in the y table)
7. Then i divided the net Newtons (191.25) by the mass of the vehicle (80.7kg) and got 2.3366m/s^2.
8. I also did this with another value on my table (180.1) so it is 2.17m/s^2
9. The wheel is pi feet in circumfrence.

From my understanding: Vf = Vi + at

I averaged to 2 accelerations together and got 2.2533m/s/s
I need to know how fast this thing is going to go and how far.
I also need to know the formulas needed to get to the end of this problem. Thank you.

I do not know what level of a question this is.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Wind resistance will increase with the square of speed, so will rolling resistance force of the wheels. Acceleration will decrease and will reach zero when the motive force, balances the wheel friction and wind resistance. During that time, the air pressure in the tank will be decreasing.

All the calculations you show are linear. Can you redo them assuming resistances varying with the square of speed and with tank pressure decreasing with time?

I would also like to see how air pressure on the cylinder propels the bike.

anorlunda said:
:welcome:

Wind resistance will increase with the square of speed, so will rolling resistance force of the wheels. Acceleration will decrease and will reach zero when the motive force, balances the wheel friction and wind resistance. During that time, the air pressure in the tank will be decreasing.

All the calculations you show are linear. Can you redo them assuming resistances varying with the square of speed and with tank pressure decreasing with time?

I would also like to see how air pressure on the cylinder propels the bike.

As for the first part, I don't know much math. For the second part, the cylinder is fed air and pushes (i have no clue why it pushes less than half of the pressure in there, but that's what the people doing the store videos said) the rod out. I will attach the device to the tricycle so that it pushes an axel.

The cylinder wil push the middle part and then retract when i feed air into the other end of the cylinder, pulling that part in...

OR

i can have a sealed wheel thingy. A gear-shaped wheel with much longer teeth, but not as many teeth that is surrounded by a matirial that seals it all the way. There would be 2 holes. Air gets fed into one hole and then turns the axel before getting out of it.

I've been thinking that the second one would be more eficient since i don't need to put air in both sides. Sorry for the poor drawings.

Again, i don't know very much math. Sorry.

It sounds like you have a fun experiment ahead. Why calculate at all? Why not just try it out and see how good you can do.

To really calculate the maximum speed, you need accurate numbers for wind resistance. Since you don't have that, calculations won't be very rewarding. So I encourage you, experiment.

What is a pneumatic tricycle?

A pneumatic tricycle is a type of tricycle that is powered by compressed air. This means that it does not require any fuel or electricity to operate and is considered to be a more environmentally friendly mode of transportation.

How do you calculate the speed of a pneumatic tricycle?

The speed of a pneumatic tricycle can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be done using a stopwatch to measure the time and measuring the distance traveled using a measuring tape or by using a GPS device.

What factors affect the speed of a pneumatic tricycle?

The speed of a pneumatic tricycle can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the rider, the terrain, the air pressure in the tires, and the efficiency of the compressed air system. Other factors such as wind resistance and friction can also have an impact on the speed.

How do you calculate the distance traveled by a pneumatic tricycle?

The distance traveled by a pneumatic tricycle can be calculated by multiplying the speed by the time it took to travel that distance. For example, if the speed is 10 miles per hour and the tricycle traveled for 2 hours, then the distance traveled would be 10 miles per hour x 2 hours = 20 miles.

What are the advantages of using a pneumatic tricycle for transportation?

There are several advantages of using a pneumatic tricycle for transportation. It is a more environmentally friendly option as it does not require any fuel or electricity. It is also cost-effective as compressed air is cheaper than other forms of energy. Pneumatic tricycles are also relatively low maintenance and easy to operate. They can also be used for both short and long distances.