Calculating Speed on an Incline Using the Law of Conservation of Energy

In summary: although you do not know the mass you will find that you won't need it as it will algebraically cancel in your equation which you will see once you have it set up.
rob stevenson

Homework Statement

A ski starts from rest and slides down a 22 o incline 75m long. Coefficient of friction is 0.090. What is the skiers speed at the base of the inlcline? Use energy methods

Homework Equations

PE=mgh
KE=mv2/2
W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

Since mass was not given I did PE=KE and solved for v. I solved for height with 75sin22. then moved the equation to solve for velocity. The answer i got was not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical energy is being 'lost' to frictional forces. You need to account for that. I'm sure your book or other resource covers work done by friction. Have a look at that first and if you have a question about how to apply the idea please ask

rob stevenson said:
did PE=KE
What about the friction?

haruspex said:
What about the friction?
friction force wasn't given and mass wasn't given so I am not fully sure how to incorporate Ff into it.

brainpushups said:
Mechanical energy is being 'lost' to frictional forces. You need to account for that. I'm sure your book or other resource covers work done by friction. Have a look at that first and if you have a question about how to apply the idea please ask

yeah i have no clue how to incorporate it that's where the main problem lies...

rob stevenson said:
yeah i have no clue how to incorporate it that's where the main problem lies...

Do you have a textbook? There are usually worked examples of these types of problems in introductory books. The work done by friction is usually modeled as the product of the force of kinetic friction and the distance traveled by the object. The force of kinetic friction is the product of the coefficient of kinetic friction and the normal force. You can use the information given in the question to determine the work done by friction. The kinetic energy must be reduced by that amount. Again, looking in your resource for an explanation and example is the first place you should start.

Although you do not know the mass you will find that you won't need it as it will algebraically cancel in your equation which you will see once you have it set up. Give it a shot!

What is the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

What does the Law of Conservation of Energy imply?

This law implies that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

How is the Law of Conservation of Energy related to the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The Law of Conservation of Energy is essentially the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed in a thermodynamic process.

What are some examples of the Law of Conservation of Energy in action?

Some examples include the conversion of mechanical energy into heat when rubbing your hands together, the conversion of chemical energy into heat and light in a fire, and the conversion of electrical energy into light and sound in a lightbulb.

Are there any exceptions to the Law of Conservation of Energy?

No, the Law of Conservation of Energy has been proven to hold true in all known physical processes.