Calculating Standard Error of Mean for 2D Histogram Data

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating the standard error of mean for percentages of data falling within specific ranges. They have created bins for these ranges and need to calculate the SEM for the distribution of these percentages. They are advised to create a distribution with appropriate bin sizes and use the sample mean and standard error to analyze their data. They are also advised to clarify their specific purpose for the analysis before proceeding.
zedya
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if there is an effective answer to my problem, but here goes:

I am working on Ramachandran plots for short peptides (3 amino acids long). For every snapshot of the protein (this would be my data point) there are two angles being recorded, the phi and psi angles. Looks like this:

-144.369 -177.292
-64.5267 148.338
-114.061 141.662
-82.48 152.633
-64.7174 157.237
-85.9076 133.427
-103.411 145.982
-75.3895 150.165

Then I create several bins for the ranges that I'm interested in, so say I count how many of these data points have -160<phi<-120 and 140<psi<200. Once I have that count, I divide it by the total number of data points and find what percentage of the time the angles are in those ranges.

Now I need to calculate the standard error of mean for these percentages. I understand how to calculate the standard error of mean for the data itself, as in for the distribution of the data. But I am only counting how many data points fall into a given region and I am not sure as to how I can get an SEM for that.

Any help would be appreciated. And please ask if any clarification is necessary, even if you won't be able to help out, maybe it'll clarify things for the next person.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey zedya and welcome to the forums.

If I'm reading this correctly, it seems you want to get a standard error and a mean for the distribution of the percentages of the actual bins.

So to do this you need to create a distribution with some bin-size b where you have 100/b bins (1 bin includes all percentage data, 10 includes 1-10,11-20, and so on).

So for all your bins you get the probabilities and put them in the appropriate bin, generate a histogram and normalize it to get your distribution.

Then take the sample mean and the standard error that distribution generated by your sample data to get that.

The more bins you have and the more data and variation of the percentages you have, the better the variation for the distribution of your percentages.

It would probably be wise though to outline exactly what you are trying to do because the advice given may be detrimental if you had a specific purpose that was contrary to that kind of analysis.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the standard error of mean for 2D histogram data?

The standard error of mean for 2D histogram data is used to measure the uncertainty or variability of the mean value in a data set. It helps to determine how close the average value is to the actual value and provides a measure of the precision of the data.

2. How is the standard error of mean calculated for 2D histogram data?

The standard error of mean for 2D histogram data is calculated by first determining the mean value for each bin in the histogram. Then, the standard deviation of these mean values is calculated. Finally, the standard error of mean is obtained by dividing the standard deviation by the square root of the sample size.

3. What are the assumptions made when calculating the standard error of mean for 2D histogram data?

The main assumption is that the data is normally distributed. This means that the data follows a bell-shaped curve with the majority of values falling within a certain range of the mean. Additionally, the data must be independent and the sample size should be large enough to accurately represent the population.

4. How can the standard error of mean be interpreted?

The standard error of mean can be interpreted as the average amount of error that is expected when estimating the true mean value of a population based on a sample. It also provides a measure of the precision of the data, with a smaller standard error indicating a more precise estimate of the mean.

5. Can the standard error of mean be used to make inferences about the population?

Yes, the standard error of mean can be used to make inferences about the population. It helps to determine the range within which the true mean value is likely to fall. This can be used to perform hypothesis testing and draw conclusions about the population based on the sample data.