Calculating stress, strain and Young's modulus?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of strain, stress, and Young's modulus for a 77 kg rock climber dangling from a rope that had stretched by 2.3 cm. The strain was correctly calculated as 0.00153, the stress was 11.6 MPa, and the Young's modulus was 7.58 GPa. However, there may have been discrepancies in digits due to differences in calculations or input methods.
rockchalk1312
After a fall, a 77 kg rock climber finds himself dangling from the end of a rope that had been 15 m long and 9.1 mm in diameter but has stretched by 2.3 cm. For the rope, calculate (a) the strain, (b) the stress, and (c) the Young's modulus.

strain = ΔL/L
stress = F/A
Young's modulus = (F/A)/(ΔL/L)

I haven't gotten any of these right and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong on them.

a) 2.3 cm = .023 m / 15 m = .0015

b) A = ∏r2 = (∏)(.0091/2)2 = 6.503E-5 m2
stress = ((77)(9.8))/(6.503E-5) = 1.16E7 N/m2

c) (754.6/6.503E-5) / (.023/15) = .756

None of those were right; also I thought Young's modulus was supposed to be a huge number so obviously that's not right. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The strain was correct, although they may have given the result with more digets 0.00153.

The calculation of the cross sectional area is correct.

The calculated stress is correct, but perhaps should be expressed as 11.6 MPa.

The calculated Young's modulus, which is the stress divided by the strain is incorrect. You made a mistake in arithmetic. 11.6/0.00153 = 7584 MPa = 7.58 GPa.

All of those helped me! The computer just wanted them entered in an odd way. Thank you!

1. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is a measure of the force acting on an object, while strain is a measure of the resulting deformation or change in shape of the object. Stress is typically expressed in units of force per unit area, while strain is unitless.

2. How do you calculate stress?

Stress can be calculated by dividing the applied force on an object by its cross-sectional area. This is known as engineering stress, and is typically denoted by the symbol σ (sigma).

3. How is strain measured?

Strain is measured as the change in length of an object divided by its original length. This is known as engineering strain, and is typically denoted by the symbol ε (epsilon). It is often expressed as a percentage.

4. What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of a material's stiffness or ability to resist deformation. It is defined as the ratio of stress to strain within the elastic limit of a material. It is denoted by the symbol E and has units of force per unit area (such as N/m^2 or Pa).

5. How do you calculate Young's modulus?

To calculate Young's modulus, you would divide the engineering stress by the engineering strain within the elastic limit of the material. This can also be represented by the equation E = σ/ε. It is important to note that Young's modulus may vary depending on the material and its properties.