Calculating Surface Area of Schwarzschild Black Hole w/Weyl Coordinates

In summary: If you are going to substitute ##r=2M## eventually, why not do the same with the equation for...##g_{\phi \phi}=0## at the horizon, since the denominator of ##g_{\phi \phi}## also goes to zero at the horizon, so you have ##0 / 0##, which is undefined unless you can do some algebra to make a cancellation that gives a finite answer.I am unsure how to do algebra to make a cancellation, can you show me how to do that?I am unsure how to do algebra to make a cancellation, can you show me how to do that?
user1139
TL;DR Summary
Unable to find surface area of Black Hole using Weyl coordinates
Recently, I was tasked to find the surface area of the Schwarzschild Black Hole. I have managed to do so using spherical and prolate spheroidal coordinates. However, my lecturer insists on only using Weyl canonical coordinates to directly calculate the surface area.

The apparent problem arises from the term gzzgφφ due to the presence of the factor ρ2. Upon setting ρ=0, the integrand becomes zero for −M<z<M thus invalidating the surface area integral. I was unsuccessful in my attempts to get rid of the ρ2 factor.

Can someone advise me on how to proceed, if it is at all possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup I'm referring to that

Thomas1 said:
Yup I'm referring to that

Ok, then it would be helpful if you would post explicitly your calculations so far. I am still unclear from your OP about exactly what you are doing.

PeterDonis said:
Ok, then it would be helpful if you would post explicitly your calculations so far. I am still unclear from your OP about exactly what you are doing.

Let the surface area of the Schwarzschild Black Hole be ##A##

##A= 2\pi\int \sqrt{g_{zz}g_{\psi\psi}} \, dz ##

Here,

##g_{zz}=(\frac{\sqrt{\rho^2+(z-M)^2}-(z-M)}{\sqrt{\rho^2+(z+M)^2}-(z+M)})(\frac{[\rho^2+(\sqrt{\rho^2+(z-M)^2}-(z-M))(\sqrt{\rho^2+(z+M)^2}-(z+M))]^2}{[\rho^2+(\sqrt{\rho^2+(z-M)^2}-(z-M))^2][\rho^2+(\sqrt{\rho^2+(z+M)^2}-(z+M))^2]})##

and

##g_{\psi\psi}=\rho^2(\frac{\sqrt{\rho^2+(z-M)^2}-(z-M)}{\sqrt{\rho^2+(z+M)^2}-(z+M)})##

The surface of the black hole is defined for ##\rho=0## and ##-M\leq z \leq M##

For ##-M<z<M##, substituting ##\rho=0## causes the integrand to become zero while for ##-M\leq z \leq M##, substituting ##\rho=0## causes the integrand to become "blow up" at the ends

Hence, I am not really sure how to find the surface area of the black hole using only Weyl coordinates, if it is at all possible.

Thomas1 said:
Let the surface area of the Schwarzschild Black Hole be ##A##

##A= 2\pi\int \sqrt{g_{zz}g_{\psi\psi}} \, dz ##

Where are you getting this formula from?

PeterDonis said:
Where are you getting this formula from?
The formula when using spherical coordinates is

## \int\int \sqrt{g_{\theta\theta}g_{\phi\phi}} \, d\phi d\theta ##

In Weyl cooridnates, only ##z## and ##\phi## vary when finding the surface area. Hence, I switched the metric components and the differential accordingly.

Thomas1 said:
In Weyl cooridnates, only ##z## and ##\phi## vary when finding the surface area.

Ok, you wrote ##\psi## instead of ##\phi## before, so that confused me.

Try rewriting the formula for ##\rho## in terms of ##L## and ##M##, as defined on the Wikipedia page. You should find that there is a cancellation in the formula for ##g_{\phi \phi}## in terms of ##L## and ##M## that means ##g_{\phi \phi}## is not equal to ##0## at the horizon, even though ##\rho = 0## there. (Note that you can't just conclude that ##g_{\phi \phi} = 0## because ##\rho = 0## at the horizon, since the denominator of ##g_{\phi \phi}## also goes to zero at the horizon, so you have ##0 / 0##, which is undefined unless you can do some algebra to make a cancellation that gives a finite answer.)

Likes dextercioby
PeterDonis said:
Ok, you wrote ##\psi## instead of ##\phi## before, so that confused me.

Try rewriting the formula for ##\rho## in terms of ##L## and ##M##, as defined on the Wikipedia page. You should find that there is a cancellation in the formula for ##g_{\phi \phi}## in terms of ##L## and ##M## that means ##g_{\phi \phi}## is not equal to ##0## at the horizon, even though ##\rho = 0## there. (Note that you can't just conclude that ##g_{\phi \phi} = 0## because ##\rho = 0## at the horizon, since the denominator of ##g_{\phi \phi}## also goes to zero at the horizon, so you have ##0 / 0##, which is undefined unless you can do some algebra to make a cancellation that gives a finite answer.)
I am unsure on how to rewrite the formula for ##\rho## in terms of ##L## and ##M##, is it possible for you to show me partial workings?

Thomas1 said:
I am unsure on how to rewrite the formula for ##\rho## in terms of ##L## and ##M##

The Wikipedia page gives ##\rho## in terms of ##r## and ##M##, and ##r## in terms of ##L## and ##M##. Just substitute.

PeterDonis said:
The Wikipedia page gives ##\rho## in terms of ##r## and ##M##, and ##r## in terms of ##L## and ##M##. Just substitute.
How would you deal with ##\sin\theta##?

Thomas1 said:
How would you deal with ##\sin\theta##?

Equation (15) on the Wikipedia page also gives ##z## in terms of ##\theta##, which can easily be inverted to give ##\theta## in terms of ##z## (since ##r = 2M## is constant on the horizon).

PeterDonis said:
Equation (15) on the Wikipedia page also gives ##z## in terms of ##\theta##, which can easily be inverted to give ##\theta## in terms of ##z## (since ##r = 2M## is constant on the horizon).
If you are going to substitute ##r=2M## eventually, why not do the same with the equation for ##\rho##?

Thomas1 said:
If you are going to substitute ##r=2M## eventually, why not do the same with the equation for ##\rho##?

You can do that, as long as you don't conclude that you can just plug ##\rho = 0## into the equation for ##g_{\phi \phi}##. As has already been shown, that doesn't work.

Thomas1 said:

Perhaps this answer might be helpful: doing this is what got you into trouble in the first place, since it leads you to set ##\rho = 0## everywhere. So maybe it might be worth trying not doing it and see where that gets you.

PeterDonis said:

If the ##r = 2M## substitution in the equation relating ##z## and ##\theta## and the equation for ##\rho## is really a stumbling block for you, try substituting ##r = L + M## instead (since that is another one of the equations in (15)).

1. How is the surface area of a Schwarzschild black hole calculated using Weyl coordinates?

The surface area of a Schwarzschild black hole can be calculated using Weyl coordinates by first converting the coordinates to isotropic coordinates. Then, the surface area can be calculated using the formula A = 16πM^2, where M is the mass of the black hole.

2. What is the significance of using Weyl coordinates in calculating the surface area of a Schwarzschild black hole?

Weyl coordinates allow for a more convenient and simplified calculation of the surface area of a Schwarzschild black hole. They also provide a better understanding of the geometry of the black hole.

3. Can the surface area of a Schwarzschild black hole change over time?

No, the surface area of a Schwarzschild black hole remains constant. This is due to the no-hair theorem, which states that black holes only have three measurable properties: mass, charge, and angular momentum.

4. How does the surface area of a Schwarzschild black hole compare to other types of black holes?

The surface area of a Schwarzschild black hole is the smallest among all types of black holes. This is because it has no charge or angular momentum, making it the simplest form of a black hole.

5. Is the surface area of a Schwarzschild black hole related to its event horizon?

Yes, the surface area of a Schwarzschild black hole is directly related to its event horizon. The event horizon is the boundary of a black hole, and its surface area represents the maximum amount of information that can be contained within the black hole.