Calculating Surface Tension Force in a Hemispherical Water Bulge

In summary: The maximum radius for a hemispherical bubble is given by $$r^2=\pi r$$.It's also mentioned that glass and water would (should) behave differentlyially.In summary, the surface tension force around the circumference of the tube exit is higher than the outside pressure due to the higher surface tension in the bulge.
Just_enough
I have a 8mm diameter glass tube willed with water that have a bulge outward above the top.
49ab5f8e805c29ae568a2fd192a755d9.gif
I know that the preasure inside the bulge is higher than the outside (not postive as to why, probably due to it being in a liquid compare to the atmophere)
the question is:
1. how do I calculate the force due surface tension when this is all the info I was given?

I feel like I have to use BERNOULLI’S equation, but I think I am missing too much info to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the concept of surface tension?

Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with the concept of surface tension?
yes

Surface tension works the same as if there is a stretched membrane at the interface between the liquid and the gas. The tension in the membrane per unit length within the surface is equal to the surface tension. What is the downward surface tension force around the circumference of the tube exit.

Chestermiller said:
Surface tension works the same as if there is a stretched membrane at the interface between the liquid and the gas. The tension in the membrane per unit length within the surface is equal to the surface tension. What is the downward surface tension force around the circumference of the tube exit.
I tried to go back and read on "fluids" chapter in my boo (Principle of physics by eric mazur) to try to understand what you mean, but I don't get it

Just_enough said:
I have a 8mm diameter glass tube willed with water that have a bulge outward above the top.
I know that the preasure inside the bulge is higher than the outside (not postive as to why, probably due to it being in a liquid compare to the atmophere)
the question is:
1. how do I calculate the force due surface tension when this is all the info I was given?

This question is ill-posed, since the contact line is pinned at the tube edge. The pressure jump across the water-air interface is proportional to the curvature of the interface, and a range of curvatures are possible. Similarly, using Young's equation is complicated as a range of contact angles are possible.

Hi Andy,
The problem title calls the surface hemispherical, so the contact angle is specified. I have trouble with the specification that the tube diameter is 0.8 cm and the surface could be hemispherical. I don't think this could be stable. I could better believe a 0.8 mm tube diameter.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Hi Andy,
The problem title calls the surface hemispherical, so the contact angle is specified. I have trouble with the specification that the tube diameter is 0.8 cm and the surface could be hemispherical. I don't think this could be stable. I could better believe a 0.8 mm tube diameter.

Chet
In what way would it not be stable. Do you have some mathematical reason? Genuinely interested in your statement

lychette said:
In what way would it not be stable. Do you have some mathematical reason? Genuinely interested in your statement
It must seems to me that a hemispherical bulge 1 cm in diameter would not stay stable under the action of surface tension.

Chestermiller said:
It must seems to me that a hemispherical bulge 1 cm in diameter would not stay stable under the action of surface tension.
I tried it out with a plastic straw - 07mm OD, maybe .065 cm ID, so a very thin wall.
What looks like a hemisphere of water does form above by squeezing the straw.
Any more squeezing and there is a collapse.

Also tried a coke bottle - approx. 2 cm ID. The wall is 1.5 mm, somewhat flat.
The water rises up to what looks to be about 2 to 3 mm, and then collapses.

Now that is with plastic tubing.
Glass and water would ( should ) behave differentially.
And curvature of the rim would have an effect also.

Maximum radius for a hemispherical bubble?
Seems to be just what you had stated.

Likes Chestermiller
Chestermiller said:
Hi Andy,

Chet
Yes, that's the title of this thread. But it's not in the stated problem ("a bulge outward").

I get $$2\pi r \sigma=\pi r^2 \Delta p$$

1. What is water tension of hemisphere?

The water tension of hemisphere is a physical property that describes the amount of force required to break the surface of a water droplet on a flat surface. In the case of a hemisphere, the water tension is the force needed to break the surface of a water droplet on a hemispherical surface.

2. How is water tension of hemisphere measured?

Water tension of hemisphere is typically measured using a tensiometer, which is a device that measures the force required to break the surface of a liquid. This force is then converted into a unit of measure, such as dynes per centimeter or newtons per meter.

3. What factors affect the water tension of hemisphere?

The water tension of hemisphere can be affected by several factors, including the surface tension of the liquid, the curvature of the surface, and any impurities or contaminants present on the surface.

4. How does water tension of hemisphere relate to surface tension?

Water tension of hemisphere is closely related to surface tension, as both properties are measured by the force required to break the surface of a liquid. However, while surface tension refers to the force on a flat surface, water tension of hemisphere specifically refers to the force on a curved surface.

5. Why is understanding water tension of hemisphere important?

Understanding water tension of hemisphere is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, surface chemistry, and materials science. It can also have practical applications, such as in the design of microfluidic devices or the study of biological processes involving curved surfaces.