Calculating Sweets & Stamps: How Many Did Raju & John Receive?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Johnx1
  • Start date
In summary: So we add this 2p to the number of foreign stamps he initially has (which is \(p-120\)) to get the number of foreign stamps he has in the end.
Johnx1
Miss Chen brought q sweets to school. She gave 24 sweets to her colleagues and distributed the rest of the sweets equally among the 40 pupils in her class.

a) Find the number of sweets each pupil received in terms of q.
b) Miss check brought 144 sweets to school. How many sweets did each pupil receive?

----------------

Raju had p stamps. 120 of his stamps were local stamps and the rest were foreign stamps. Raju's friend then gave him 2p foreign stamps.

a) How many foreign stamps did Raju have at first?

my answer: 2p + p = 120. So he had 40 foreign stamps.

b) Raju had 165 stamps at first. How many foreign stamps did he have in the end?

my answer: 2p + p = 165. So he had 65 foreign stamps.---------------
Every week, John saves x dollars on Monday and he saves 1 dollars more each day than the previous day.

a) how much money does John save on Tuesday?

My answer: monday + tuesday + 1;

b) how much does john save altogether on Monday and tuesday?

my answer: would this be the save as question a?

c) john saves $3 on monday. How much does he save altogether on Monday and Tuesday?

my answer: 3 + 4 = 7Thank you to anyone who can answer these questions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to MHB! For future reference, please post only 1 multiple part question per thread,

Johnx said:
Miss Chen brought q sweets to school. She gave 24 sweets to her colleagues and distributed the rest of the sweets equally among the 40 pupils in her class.

a) Find the number of sweets each pupil received in terms of q.
b) Miss check brought 144 sweets to school. How many sweets did each pupil receive?

After distributing the sweets to her colleagues, Miss Chen has \(q-24\) sweets left to distribute to her 40 pupils. So, the number of sweets \(Q\) each pupil would receive is:

\(\displaystyle Q=\frac{q-24}{40}\)

You see, we took the amount she had to distribute to the pupils, and divided by the number of pupils to determine the number each pupil would get.

Johnx said:
Raju had p stamps. 120 of his stamps were local stamps and the rest were foreign stamps. Raju's friend then gave him 2p foreign stamps.

a) How many foreign stamps did Raju have at first?

my answer: 2p + p = 120. So he had 40 foreign stamps.

b) Raju had 165 stamps at first. How many foreign stamps did he have in the end?

my answer: 2p + p = 165. So he had 65 foreign stamps.

a) Initially John has 120 local stamps and \(p-120\) foreign stamps.

b) If \(p=165\), the the number of \(F_i\) of foreign stamps he initially had is:

\(\displaystyle F_i=165-120=45\)

Then, if he is given \(2p=2\cdot165=330\) mor foreign stamps, the number of foreign stamps he has in the end is:

\(\displaystyle F_f=45+330=375\)

Johnx said:
Every week, John saves x dollars on Monday and he saves 1 dollars more each day than the previous day.

a) how much money does John save on Tuesday?

My answer: monday + tuesday + 1;

b) how much does john save altogether on Monday and tuesday?

my answer: would this be the save as question a?

c) john saves $3 on monday. How much does he save altogether on Monday and Tuesday?

my answer: 3 + 4 = 7Thank you to anyone who can answer these questions.

a) If John saves \(x\) on Monday, and he saves 1 dollar more on Tuesday than he did on Monday, the amount saved on Tuesday would then be:

\(\displaystyle x+1\)

b) The sum of the amounts saved on Monday and Tuesday would then be:

\(\displaystyle x+x+1=2x+1\)

c) If \(x=3\), then using the result from part b), we find:

\(\displaystyle 2\cdot3+1=7\quad\checkmark\)

Thank you for answering my questions.For my second question, here is what you wrote.

b) If p=165 , the the number of Fi of foreign stamps he initially had is:

Fi=165−120=45

Then, if he is given 2p=2⋅165=330 mor foreign stamps, the number of foreign stamps he has in the end is:

Ff=45+330=375
I'm guessing the reason why you times 2 * 165 is because his friend was going to match him with 165 stamps with the foreign stamps?Thanks again.

Johnx said:
... I'm guessing the reason why you times 2 * 165 is because his friend was going to match him with 165 stamps with the foreign stamps?

We multiply \(\displaystyle p\) by 2 since Raju's friend gave him another \(\displaystyle 2p\) foreign stamps, and this would add into the total number of foreign stamps Raju has at last.

1. How do you calculate the total number of sweets and stamps received by Raju and John?

To calculate the total number of sweets and stamps received by Raju and John, you will need to add the number of sweets received by Raju to the number of sweets received by John, and then add the number of stamps received by Raju to the number of stamps received by John.

2. What information do you need to calculate the total number of sweets and stamps received?

To calculate the total number of sweets and stamps received, you will need to know the number of sweets and stamps received by Raju and John individually.

3. How do you determine the number of sweets that Raju received?

To determine the number of sweets that Raju received, you can refer to the data given in the problem or ask Raju directly for the number.

4. Can you calculate the total number of sweets and stamps without knowing the individual numbers received by Raju and John?

No, in order to calculate the total number of sweets and stamps received, you will need the individual numbers received by Raju and John.

5. Is there a specific formula to calculate the total number of sweets and stamps received?

There is no specific formula to calculate the total number of sweets and stamps received. It is simply the sum of the individual numbers received by Raju and John.