Marbles & Stamps: How Many Did Casey Buy?

• MHB
  • Thread starter wailingkoh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marble
In summary, to determine the number of marbles and stamps Casey bought, you can use the equation M + S = T, where M represents the number of marbles, S represents the number of stamps, and T represents the total number of items purchased. To solve this problem, you will need to know the total amount spent by Casey, the price of each marble and stamp, and the ratio of marbles to stamps purchased. There is a specific formula for solving this problem, which is M + S = T. Any unit of measurement can be used for the number of marbles and stamps as long as they are consistent. Lastly, you can use the same equation to solve similar problems as long as the variables represent the same quantities,
wailingkoh
I have a question

Carey bought some marbles and gave half of them to Casey. Casey bought some stamps and gave half of them to Carey. Carey used 5 stamps and Casey gave away 11 marbles. The ratio of the number of stamps to the number of marbles Carey had left then became 1 : 7 and the ratio of the number of stamps to the number of marbles Casey had left became 1 : 5. How many stamps did Casey buy?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So what is the problem? Have you tried anything? Post your attempt (or at least something which explains your difficulty in solving the question).

1. How can I determine the number of marbles and stamps Casey bought?

The number of marbles and stamps Casey bought can be determined by using the following equation: M + S = T, where M represents the number of marbles, S represents the number of stamps, and T represents the total number of items purchased.

2. What information do I need to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to know the total amount spent by Casey, the price of each marble and stamp, and the ratio of marbles to stamps purchased.

3. Is there a specific formula to solve this problem?

Yes, there is a specific formula to solve this problem. It is M + S = T, where M represents the number of marbles, S represents the number of stamps, and T represents the total number of items purchased.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement for the number of marbles and stamps?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for the number of marbles and stamps as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use inches for the marbles, you should also use inches for the stamps.

5. Can I use the same equation to solve similar problems?

Yes, you can use the same equation to solve similar problems as long as the variables represent the same quantities (M for marbles, S for stamps, and T for total). You may need to adjust the equation based on the given information for each problem.