Calculating Tension when you swing a ball around a piece of string

In summary, the conversation was about solving for the tension at the bottom of the arc when a ball is swung vertically on a string with a mass of 0.150kg and a radius of 1.10m. The equation used was NetForce = ma, where the force of tension at the bottom is set to be negative. After some confusion, it was realized that the tension should be positive and gravity should be negative because the tension is pointing inwards at the bottom of the path.
brycenrg

Homework Statement

You swing a ball around a piece of string(vertically). M = 0.150kg r= 1.10m
Calculate the Tention at the bottom of the arc assuming velocity is twice as fast.

Homework Equations

When I do the problem I'm not sure how to set up the NetForce = ma
How do which force is negative and which is positive? I set tension at the bottom to - making the equation to be
mg - Ft = m(v^2/r)
but i don't get right answer

The Attempt at a Solution

mg - Ft = m(v^2/r)
ft = -4 N
but the answer is 7.35 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I think i just figured it out. The reason it needs to be positive and gravity has to be negative because at the bottom of the path T is pointing inwards because this is Ar. Is this the correct logic? I appreciate it.

What factors affect the tension when swinging a ball on a string?

The tension when swinging a ball on a string is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the ball, the speed of the swing, and the angle of the swing. These factors all contribute to the amount of centripetal force and therefore, the tension in the string.

How do you calculate the tension in the string?

The formula for calculating tension in a swinging object is T = m(v^2)/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the swing. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

What happens to the tension if you increase the length of the string?

If you increase the length of the string, the tension will decrease. This is because the longer string allows for greater distance between the ball and the center of the swing, resulting in a lower centripetal force and therefore, a lower tension in the string.

How does the mass of the ball affect the tension?

The mass of the ball directly affects the tension in the string. The greater the mass of the ball, the greater the centripetal force and therefore, the higher the tension in the string. This is because the heavier ball requires more force to maintain its circular motion.

Does the angle of the swing affect the tension?

Yes, the angle of the swing does affect the tension in the string. A steeper angle of the swing will result in a higher tension, while a more horizontal angle will result in a lower tension. This is because the angle affects the centripetal force and therefore, the tension in the string.