Calculating the Angle of a Stable Ball on a Charged Plane

In summary: Keep it up.In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a fixed charge at the base of a plane and a small ball with a charge placed in a groove on the plane. The goal is to find the angle theta at which the ball will find a stable position. The conversation covers the equations used to solve the problem and the correct method for resolving the forces involved.
Kaylee

Homework Statement

A single charge q1 = 1.10E-7 C is fixed at the base of a plane that makes an angle theta with the horizontal direction. A small ball of mass m = 1.75 g and a charge q2 = 3.30E-8 C is placed into a smooth frictionless groove in the plane that extends directly to the fixed charge (image attached.) It is allowed to move up and down until it finds a stable position d = 11.0 cm from the fixed charge. What is the value of theta (t)?

Homework Equations

Fe = kq1q2/d^2
Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Fe = (8.99E9)(1.1E-7)(3.3E-8)/(0.11^2) = 0.002697 N [up to the right]
Fg = (.00175)(9.8) = 0.01715 N [down]

(Fe)(sin(t)) = mg
(0.002697)(sin(t)) = 0.01715
sin(t) = 6.358917316
Since sin(t) has to be between -1 and 1 it is impossible to find t.

Any help detecting my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Physics Image.png
    Physics Image.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you forgot about the normal force.

Try to set up the vector decomposition differently.

Kaylee said:
(Fe)(sin(t)) = mg
That's wrong. Which direction are you resolving into get that?

showzen said:
I think you forgot about the normal force.

Try to set up the vector decomposition differently.
So my new equation would be
mg = Fe(sin(t)) + N.
I'm confused as to where to go from here.
What did you mean by "set up the vector decomposition differently."

haruspex said:
That's wrong. Which direction are you resolving into get that?
I'm resolving along the y-axis (vertical). If you look at the photo, I think it is right.

You found the vertical component of Fe.

If you take the plane to be the x-axis, you can find the horizontal component of mg.

Kaylee said:
I'm resolving along the y-axis (vertical). If you look at the photo, I think it is right.
No, as you replied to showzen, it wasn't right because you had left out the normal force.
The simpler path, though, is to resolve parallel to the plane so that you don't need to involve the normal force.

haruspex said:
No, as you replied to showzen, it wasn't right because you had left out the normal force.
The simpler path, though, is to resolve parallel to the plane so that you don't need to involve the normal force.
Sorry, when you said "That's wrong," I thought you meant that I got the direction, as in I used the wrong trig function.

Thanks for your help. Changing my coordinate system makes the whole problem much easier.

Kaylee said:
Sorry, when you said "That's wrong," I thought you meant that I got the direction, as in I used the wrong trig function.
I couldn't tell which - either you'd resolved vertically and omitted the normal force, or you'd resolved down the plane and put the sine factor on the wrong side. I've seen the second done more often than the first.

haruspex said:
I couldn't tell which - either you'd resolved vertically and omitted the normal force, or you'd resolved down the plane and put the sine factor on the wrong side. I've seen the second done more often than the first.
Thanks again for all your help! This forum is very helpful to fully understand where I am going wrong.

What is "Ball Balanced by Forces"?

"Ball Balanced by Forces" is a scientific concept that explains the principles behind the movement and stability of a ball that is being acted upon by various forces.

What forces act on a ball to keep it balanced?

The main forces that act on a ball to keep it balanced are gravity, normal force, and friction. Gravity pulls the ball towards the earth, while the normal force exerted by the surface of the ground pushes back against the ball. Friction also plays a role in balancing the ball by providing resistance against its movement.

How does the size and shape of a ball affect its balance?

The size and shape of a ball can affect its balance by changing the distribution of mass and the surface area that is in contact with the ground. A larger ball will have more mass and a larger contact area, making it more stable and less likely to be affected by external forces. On the other hand, a smaller or irregularly shaped ball may be less stable and more susceptible to being knocked off balance.

Can the balance of a ball be affected by external factors?

Yes, the balance of a ball can be affected by external factors such as wind, uneven surfaces, or additional forces acting on the ball. These external factors can disrupt the equilibrium between the forces acting on the ball and cause it to roll or tip over.

How is the concept of "Ball Balanced by Forces" applied in real life?

The concept of "Ball Balanced by Forces" is applied in various fields, such as sports, engineering, and physics. In sports, athletes use the principles of balancing forces to control the movement of a ball, such as in soccer or basketball. In engineering, the concept is used to design structures and machines that can maintain stability and balance under different conditions. In physics, the concept is studied to understand the behavior of objects in motion and how forces affect their balance.