Calculating the appropriate cable strength.

In summary, the author is worried about the bolts on the hitch and how they will hold up over time. He also wants to add a safety barrier to make him feel more confident on the road. He is from NZ and the open road speed limit for a light vehicle towing a trailer is 90kmph.
The450Man
5 years ago I was at penn state, for engineering of all things. I did things similar to this but everything is eluding me at the moment.

My situation:

I have a car that I've attached a class 1 trailer hitch. Its rated at 2000lbs and i don't intend on towing more than 1000 lbs.

For a peace of mind, id like to have an extra safety barier.

Id like to run some steel cable from the hitch itself to the frame of the car (the hitch is bolted to the frame).

The cable should prevent the trailer from taking off in an even the trailer hitch fails.

Consider the maximum speed of 75.

I know deceleration/acceleration is important here, numbers I am not sure if I can reliably provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

You draw a free body diagram for the trailer and run ##\sum F = ma## - remember how to do that?
You will have to consider friction dragging on the trailer - which would depend on speed - which you have to measure.

So: ##T-f(v)=ma## where T is the rated break-strain of your system - then you know everything except "a" which will be the maximum acceleration you can expect to achieve.
Since you want the cable to take up should the main (2000lb rated) system is accidentally overloaded - say you accelerated too sharply - then you'll have to guess at how much over acceleration you want to protect against.

(Units are important too - 75kmph is quite different from 75mph and this is an international forum.)

Personally, I'd try a heavy-duty tow-rope looped from the tow-point to the trailer and back... this is usually good enough to tow quite big cars.

In NZ the main failure mode of a tow-hitch is a coupling failure - it's just not attached properly like if the operator is in a hurry - and there is a chain that must also be attached to prevent the trailer running off.

Last edited:
if he is in New Zealand it will be 75km/hr which is about the max legal speed to tow a trailer

towing trailers at 75mph (~ 125km/hr) would be pretty scarey haha

are you in NZ, Simon ?

Dave

I got the impression he is worried the hitch is going to fall off the car if the bolts fail or come loose.

davenn said:
if he is in New Zealand it will be 75km/hr which is about the max legal speed to tow a trailer

towing trailers at 75mph (~ 125km/hr) would be pretty scarey haha

are you in NZ, Simon ?

Dave
I am in NZ - land of the long white cloud, no-helmet football, and personal jet packs :)

In NZ, the open road speed limit for a light vehicle towing a trailer is 90kmph.
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/about-limits/speed-limits.html

I have been overtaken by vehicles towing trailers doing 130kmph+ ... and, yes, it's pretty scary.
I'd rather have them in front than behind though - people forget the extra mass when they have to brake.

@256bits - well yes, that crossed my mind too ... makes the safety chain a bit redundant.
I've yet to see tow bars that were not welded on... bolted? If OP is worried about the bolts, or the bit it's bolted to, giving way, then that may explain the cautious loading. Don't think it affects the answer though ...

Correct, I am worried about the bolts breaking loose and the hitch + trailer going loose.

Im a little obsessive about these kind of things, a safety barrier will make me much more confident on the road.

Simon Bridge said:
I am in NZ - land of the long white cloud, no-helmet football, and personal jet packs :)

In NZ, the open road speed limit for a light vehicle towing a trailer is 90kmph.
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/about-limits/speed-limits.html

thanks for the reminder ... been a bit over 13 yrs since I moved to Oz .. couldn't remember the exact speed limit for a trailer ... not that its obeyed by many anyway as you have seen haha

Im ex Dunedin -- Edinburgh of the south, now am in Sydney ;)

Dave

I'm on Waiheke Island (NZ) which is "somewhere near Taupo".
Note - about 20 years ago the top open road limit was 80 and the trailer limit was <drum-roll> 75.
This sort of stuff hangs around long after it stops being useful ... :D

I know this is off topic but ...

gosh haven't been to Waiheke Is since ~ 1982, got a cousin and family that I think still lives there, he's an electrician by trade.

Do they still fly the ol' Grumman (sp?) Goose to and from the Island ?

Dave

No - that got retired ages ago - the old slipway is used exclusively by the vehicle ferry now.
Perhaps I should put social media contacts in my profile?

Doesn't appear we can do any more for OP.

Related to Calculating the appropriate cable strength.

1. What factors should be considered when calculating the appropriate cable strength?

The factors that should be considered when calculating the appropriate cable strength include the type of cable, the weight of the load it will carry, the distance the cable will span, the environmental conditions it will be exposed to, and the safety factor required for the specific application.

2. How do I determine the type of cable needed for my application?

The type of cable needed for a specific application depends on various factors such as the weight of the load, the distance it needs to span, and the environmental conditions. It is important to consult a cable manufacturer or an engineer for guidance in selecting the appropriate cable type.

3. What is the safety factor and how is it calculated?

The safety factor is a measure of how much stronger the cable is than what is required for a specific application. It is calculated by dividing the breaking strength of the cable by the maximum expected load. The recommended safety factor for different applications may vary, but it is typically between 3 to 10.

4. Can I use a cable with a higher breaking strength than what is required?

Using a cable with a higher breaking strength than what is required can provide an additional margin of safety. However, it is important to ensure that the cable is not too stiff or heavy for the application, as this can affect its performance. It is recommended to consult a professional for guidance in selecting the appropriate cable strength.

5. Are there any industry standards for calculating cable strength?

Yes, there are industry standards and guidelines for calculating the appropriate cable strength. These standards are set by organizations such as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). It is important to follow these standards to ensure the safety and reliability of the cable in a specific application.