Calculating the Average Net Force of a 22g Bullet Fired from a Rifle

In summary, a 22 g bullet is fired from a rifle with a speed of 730 m/s after 2.55 * 10^-3 seconds. With the assumption of constant acceleration, the average net force exerted on the bullet can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where m is the mass in kilograms and a is the acceleration. The initial velocity is zero, so the acceleration can be found using the kinematic equations. It is important to note that the mass of the bullet must be converted from grams to kilograms in order to use this equation correctly. Additionally, it is necessary to consider that the acceleration is not zero, as this would result in a net force of zero.
ny_aish
A 22 g bullet is fired from a rifle. It takes 2.55 10^-3 s for the bullet to travel the length of the barrel, and it exits the barrel with a speed of 730 m/s. Assuming that the acceleration of the bullet is constant, find the average net force exerted on the bullet

m=22g
is a=0 ? since its constant
v = 730 m/s
t=2.55 * 10^-3
I thought this is F=ma.

But its wrong! I believe I am doing this wrong, any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the kinematic equations to find the acceleration. The initial velocity is zero. Hence you have the following, initial velocity, final velocity and the time, and you need to get the acceleration.

Can you find one equation that incorporates all of these terms?

hmmmmmm...let me give it a shot

my method was right but I needed to convert Grams to Kg, Thanks though!

ny_aish said:
my method was right but I needed to convert Grams to Kg, Thanks though!

Yes but acceleration was not zero, had it been zero, then the resultant force would be zero as well.

yesssss! that's right tooo, for Acceleration i used Delta V/Delta T. Thanks :)

1. How do you calculate the average net force of a 22g bullet fired from a rifle?

The average net force of a bullet can be calculated by dividing the mass of the bullet (22g) by the time it takes for the bullet to travel from the rifle to its target. This can be determined through experiments or by using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration of the bullet.

2. What factors affect the average net force of a bullet fired from a rifle?

The average net force of a bullet can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the bullet, the velocity at which it is fired, and the distance it travels. Other factors such as air resistance and gravity may also play a role in the net force of the bullet.

3. Is the average net force of a bullet fired from a rifle the same as the muzzle velocity?

No, the average net force and muzzle velocity are two different measurements. Muzzle velocity is the speed of the bullet as it exits the rifle, while average net force takes into account the mass and acceleration of the bullet over a certain distance.

4. Can the average net force of a bullet fired from a rifle be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, depending on the factors mentioned above, the average net force of a bullet can be greater than the force of gravity. This is why bullets are able to travel long distances and overcome the force of gravity.

5. How can the average net force of a bullet fired from a rifle be used in real-world applications?

The average net force of a bullet fired from a rifle is an important factor in determining the trajectory and accuracy of the bullet. It is also important in understanding the impact and potential damage of a bullet on its target. This information is crucial in fields such as ballistics, law enforcement, and military operations.