Calculating the Center of Mass

In summary, the center of mass of someone's thigh, shank, and foot is located at (2.5, 3). This was found by calculating the torques for each segment and dividing by the sum of the masses. The X coordinate is 2.5 and the Y coordinate is 3.
epuen23
Homework Statement
The center of mass of someone's thigh, shank, and foot are located at the following coordinates:

Thigh: (2.7, 3.2)

Shank: (2.1, 2.5)

Foot: (1.5, 1.9)

If the masses of them are respectively 9.6, 2.9, and 0.9 kg, where is the location of the entire leg?

ANSWER:

CM = (2.5, 3)
Relevant Equations
CMx = Xprox + L%*(Xdist - Xprox)
CMy = Yprox + L%*(Ydist - Yprox)
CMbody = E*(CMseg*Mseg)/Mtotal
The center of mass of someone's thigh, shank, and foot are located at the following coordinates:
Thigh: (2.7, 3.2)
Shank: (2.1, 2.5)
Foot: (1.5, 1.9)
If the masses of them are respectively 9.6, 2.9, and 0.9 kg, where is the location of the entire leg?

ANSWER:
CM = (2.5, 3)I'm having trouble figuring out the steps for this. I feel like I need to know the Length % in order to complete the formula but am lost as to how to get this. Thank you for any help you may be.

-E

Physics news on Phys.org
Please define the parameters in your equations.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 4.02.07 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 4.02.07 PM.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 360
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 4.28.28 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 4.28.28 PM.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 395
Chestermiller said:
Please define the parameters in your equations.
I was having a hard time uploading screenshots of the equations/problem. I think I got it to work now.

So in the bottom of the screenshot, it talks about calculating the torques for each segment. Do you know how to do that?

Think about a simpler problem, like a 1 dimensional bar with weights attached at different points. How would you find the center of mass? Now how would this be expanded to 2 dimensions?

scottdave said:
Think about a simpler problem, like a 1 dimensional bar with weights attached at different points. How would you find the center of mass? Now how would this be expanded to 2 dimensions?

So I know T (Torque) = F (Force) * ⊥d (Perpendicular Distance).
Would it be: 2.7 * 9.6? Am I even close?

epuen23 said:
So I know T (Torque) = F (Force) * ⊥d (Perpendicular Distance).
Would it be: 2.7 * 9.6? Am I even close?
Yes, you're on the right track.

Chestermiller said:
Yes, you're on the right track.

Oh my gosh, thank you so much guys!

X
2.7 * 9.6 = 25.92
2.1 * 2.9 = 6.09
1.5 * 0.9 = 1.35
SUM OF TORQUES = 33.39
DIVIDED BY SUM OF MASS = 13.4
33.39 / 13.4 = 2.5

Y
3.2 * 9.6 = 30.72
2.5 * 2.9 = 7.25
1.9 * 0.9 = 1.71
SUM OF TORQUES = 39.68
DIVIDED BY SUM OF MASS = 13.4
39.68 / 13.4 = 3

Likes scottdave and Chestermiller

1. What is the Center of Mass?

The Center of Mass is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. How is the Center of Mass calculated?

The Center of Mass can be calculated by finding the average position of all the mass in an object. This is done by taking into account the mass and position of each individual particle or section of the object.

3. Why is calculating the Center of Mass important?

Calculating the Center of Mass is important because it helps us understand the balance and stability of an object. It is also useful in engineering and physics, as it can help determine the trajectory and movement of an object.

4. What factors affect the Center of Mass?

The Center of Mass is affected by the distribution of mass within an object. Objects with more mass towards one end will have a Center of Mass closer to that end. Other factors that can affect the Center of Mass include shape, size, and density of the object.

5. Can the Center of Mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the Center of Mass can be outside of an object. This occurs when the object has an irregular shape or when there are multiple objects connected together. In these cases, the Center of Mass may not be located within the physical boundaries of the object.