Calculating the dimension of intersection of two matrices

In summary, the matrix M1 has the following dimensions: dim M1+M2=2. The matrix M1 has the following dimensions: dim M1=2. The matrix M2 has the following dimensions: dim M2=3. The intersection of matrices M1 and M2 is a point in the 3D space of matrices.
Mutlu CELIKKOL
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

I am at the beginners level of linear algebra and having problem of the intersection of matrices. Your kind help is much appreciated for the following question

Code:
Let\quad M1=\begin{Bmatrix} x & -x \\ y & z \end{Bmatrix},\quad M2=\begin{Bmatrix} a & b \\ -a & c \end{Bmatrix},\quad x,z,y,z\quad a,b,c\quad \in \quad F\\ calculate\quad the\quad following;\quad \\ a)\quad dim\quad M1+M2\\ b)\quad dim\quad M1\quad \cap \quad M2\\

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by the intersection of matrices? Do you mean ##\mathbb{R}\cdot \begin{bmatrix}x&-x\\y&z\end{bmatrix} \cap \mathbb{R}\cdot \begin{bmatrix}a&b\\-a&c\end{bmatrix}## or what is it?

fresh_42 said:
What do you mean by the intersection of matrices? Do you mean ##\mathbb{R}\cdot \begin{bmatrix}x&-x\\y&z\end{bmatrix} \cap \mathbb{R}\cdot \begin{bmatrix}a&b\\-a&c\end{bmatrix}## or what is it?
That is exactly what I mean

So you should start to compare them. You have ##a_{11}=-a_{12}## and ##a_{11}=-a_{21}##. What do you get from that?

And please post those kind of questions in the future in our homework section, including the use of the (automatically inserted) template!

fresh_42 said:
What does this notation mean? Particularly ##\mathbb{R}\cdot \begin{bmatrix}x&-x\\y&z\end{bmatrix}##?

It was just a suggestion of a possible interpretation, the straight line through the given matrix as subspace of ##\mathbb{M}(2,\mathbb{R})##.

fresh_42 said:
It was just a suggestion of a possible interpretation, the straight line through the given matrix as subspace of ##\mathbb{M}(2,\mathbb{R})##.
I'm even more lost now.

What is a "straight line through the given matrix"?
What is ##\mathbb{M}(2,\mathbb{R})##?
I'm familiar with notations such as ##\mathbb{M}_{2, 3}## or the like, for matrices with 2 rows and 3 columns, or ##\mathbb{M}_{m, n}##, for m x n matrices. In both examples, the field is unstated.

I like to note the field as it is often important here whether the reals, complex numbers or even a finite field is allowed. With only one index, the quadratic version is meant, so ##\mathbb{M}(2,\mathbb{R})## means all real ##2\times 2## matrices. They build a vector space and one matrix, as given by the OP is a vector therein. Thus there is also a line through this vector and the zero matrix, which defines a one dimensional subspace. And the intersection is a point in this space.

Another possibility would have been ##\begin{bmatrix}x&-x\\y&z\end{bmatrix} = \left\{ \begin{bmatrix}a&b \\ c&d\end{bmatrix} \in \mathbb{M}(2,\mathbb{R}) \, : \, b=-a \right\}## in which case we get a three dimensional subspace.

Both are possible and the wording in post #1 doesn't tell. I used the line interpretation as it was easy to type. My real goal was to provoke a clarification.

Likes SammyS

1. How do you calculate the dimension of intersection of two matrices?

The dimension of the intersection of two matrices can be calculated by first finding the dimensions of each matrix. Then, compare the number of rows and columns of each matrix. The dimension of the intersection is the smaller of the two dimensions.

2. Can the dimension of intersection be greater than the dimensions of the individual matrices?

No, the dimension of intersection can never be greater than the dimensions of the individual matrices. It can only be equal to or smaller than the dimensions of the individual matrices.

3. What does the dimension of intersection represent?

The dimension of intersection represents the number of common elements or vectors between the two matrices. It is a measure of how much the two matrices overlap or have in common.

4. How is the dimension of intersection related to the rank of the matrices?

The dimension of intersection is directly related to the rank of the matrices. If the dimension of intersection is equal to the rank of the matrices, it means that the two matrices are linearly independent. If the dimension of intersection is less than the rank, it means that the two matrices are linearly dependent.

5. Can the dimension of intersection be negative?

No, the dimension of intersection cannot be negative. It is always a positive integer or zero. A zero dimension of intersection means that the two matrices have no common elements or vectors.