Calculating the displacement using the work-energy principle

In summary, an object traveling at 10m/s along an inclined surface of 10° will travel a distance of 32.6m up the bank. To find its initial height and final velocity, the coefficient of friction must be taken into account in the equations.
brycenrg

Homework Statement

An object is traveling at 10m/s. along an inclined surface of an angle 10°. How far does it go up the bank?
How fast will it be going when it travels back down?
Coefficient of friction is .15

Homework Equations

Ei = Ef
Ef - Ei = Eloss
[/B]
W = Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start. I made a FBD.
∑Fx = gsinθ+ukgcosθ = ma
There are two unknowns. I don't know the distance. and I don't know how much energy is lost in the displacement.

If there was no friction I could solve it using Ei = Ef but with friction I don't know where tostart. Can anyone tell me the first step?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried again. 1/2mv^2 = ukmg cos∅d+mgh
h = d sin∅
(v^2)/(2g(cos∅+sin∅)) = d =32.6 m
That is the displacement. I think.
use h = dsin∅ to find initial H
use mgh = ukmgcos∅d+1/2mv^2 to find v
Is that correct?

(Use X2 icon for superscript, X2 for subscript.)
brycenrg said:
I tried again. 1/2mv^2 = ukmg cos∅d+mgh
h = d sin∅

That's a good start.

It looks like you left μk out of the following equation.
(v^2)/(2g(cos∅+sin∅)) = d =32.6 m
That is the displacement. I think.
use h = dsin∅ to find initial H
]use mgh = ukmgcos∅d+1/2mv^2 to find v
Is that correct?

Likes brycenrg

1. What is the Work Energy principle?

The Work Energy principle is a physical law that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when a force is applied to an object, causing it to move, the energy transferred to the object is equal to the force multiplied by the distance the object moves.

2. How is the Work Energy principle applied in real-life situations?

The Work Energy principle can be applied in a variety of real-life situations. For example, when a person pushes a cart, they are applying a force to it, causing it to move. The work done by the person is then transferred to the cart, increasing its kinetic energy.

3. Is the Work Energy principle applicable to all types of energy?

Yes, the Work Energy principle is applicable to all types of energy, as long as it involves a change in the velocity of an object. This includes mechanical, electrical, thermal, and even nuclear energy.

4. How does the Work Energy principle relate to the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Work Energy principle and the Law of Conservation of Energy are closely related. The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The Work Energy principle shows that when work is done on an object, the energy is transferred to the object, but the total amount of energy in the system remains constant.

5. Can the Work Energy principle be used to calculate the work done by non-conservative forces?

No, the Work Energy principle only applies to conservative forces, which are forces that do not depend on the path taken by the object. Non-conservative forces, such as friction and air resistance, do not follow this principle and require different methods to calculate the work done on an object.