Calculating the EMF in the coil while the field is changing

In summary, a problem involving a coil with 200 turns of wire wrapped on an 18.0 cm square frame, a total resistance of 2.0Ω, and a changing uniform magnetic field is discussed. The magnitude of the induced emf in the coil while the field changes is found by using the equation emf =N* (Δ(BAcosθ) / Δt), where cosθ represents the angle between the magnetic field and the coil. In this case, since the magnetic field is applied perpendicularly to the plane of the coil, the angle is 0 and does not affect the calculated result. Therefore, the value of cosθ is not necessary in the equation.
Ly444999

Homework Statement

A coil with 200 turns of wire is wrapped on an 18.0 cm square frame. Each turn has the same area, equal to that of the frame, and the total resistance of the coil is 2.0Ω . A uniform magnetic field is applied perpendicularly to the plane of the coil. If the field changes uniformly from 0 to 0.500 T in 0.80 s, find the magnitude of the induced emf in the coil while the field has changed

Homework Equations

emf =N* (Δ(BAcosθ) / Δt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble understanding the answer to the problem. In a solution to this question I seen, the answer is gotten from doing this calculation:
emf = [(200)*(0.500-0)*(0.18*0.18)*cos 90] / 0.80
and the answer equals to 4.10 V.
What I don't understand is why do you multiply by the cos 90?
cos 90 in degrees is 0 and in radians it is -0.4480736...
Doing the calculation without the cos 90 will get that answer, so why is it in the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ly444999 said:
What I don't understand is why do you multiply by the cos 90?
You need to make sure that you're using the correct angle. Check your notes or text to see when the angle is used and what it is the angle between.

Ly444999 said:
cos 90 in degrees is 0 and in radians it is -0.4480736...
Although you will find that the actual angle involved won't be 90°, note that 90° is equivalent to ##\pi/2## radians, and they are in fact the same angle and have the same cosine value: zero.

gneill said:
You need to make sure that you're using the correct angle. Check your notes or text to see when the angle is used and what it is the angle between.
So would no angle at all be used in this case?

Ly444999 said:
So would no angle at all be used in this case?
There's an angle, but thanks to the particular geometry specified for the problem it has a value that doesn't affect the calculated result. You should make sure that you understand what that angle actually represents.

gneill said:
There's an angle, but thanks to the particular geometry specified for the problem it has a value that doesn't affect the calculated result. You should make sure that you understand what that angle actually represents.
I'm not sure if I'm following but, since the magnetic field is applied perpendicularly to the plane of the coil, the angle is actually 0 instead of 90?

Ly444999 said:
I'm not sure if I'm following but, since the magnetic field is applied perpendicularly to the plane of the coil, the angle is actually 0 instead of 90?
Yes.

gneill said:
Yes.
Thanks for your help!

1. What is EMF and how is it related to changing magnetic fields?

EMF stands for electromotive force, and it is a measure of the voltage induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is described by Faraday's Law.

2. How do you calculate the EMF in a coil while the magnetic field is changing?

The EMF induced in a coil can be calculated using the equation EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil. This equation is also known as Faraday's Law of Induction.

3. What factors can affect the EMF in a coil while the magnetic field is changing?

The magnitude of EMF induced in a coil depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the rate of change of the magnetic field. Additionally, the resistance and dimensions of the coil can also affect the EMF induced.

4. How does the direction of the induced EMF in a coil relate to the direction of the changing magnetic field?

According to Lenz's Law, the direction of the induced EMF in a coil will always oppose the change in the magnetic field that caused it. This means that if the magnetic field is increasing, the induced EMF will create a current in the opposite direction to try and counteract the change.

5. Can the EMF induced in a coil be negative?

Yes, the EMF induced in a coil can be negative. This means that the direction of the induced current is in the opposite direction to the direction of the changing magnetic field. Negative EMF values are commonly seen when the magnetic field is decreasing.