Calculating the energy in an EM wave

In summary: I have a degree in chemistry where i had physical chemistry 1 and 2 and 2 physics courses. I am drawn towards physics and is therefore reading it by myself. One of the two physics courses was introduction course in electromagnetism. I would imagine that griffiths intro to electromagnetism is a bit more advanced so i could read that.Zz.
Vanadium 50 said:
What? By whom?

1583502133430.png

This is taken from this site

https://www.quora.com/What-happened...15-m-Does-it-signify-anything-in-modern-terms

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
fisher garry said:

But do you know what a scattering "cross section" actually means? This is the "effective size" of an electron, by itself.

And what does this "r" have anything to do with the 1s hydrogen atom? You appear to be mixing two different quantities together that have nothing to do with one another.

But again, you refused to indicate what all of this is all about. Go read a physics publication. Read the abstract. It tells the readers what you intend to do and WHY. This is something you have consistently neglected to show here, even after repeated queries!

Zz.

Likes weirdoguy
ZapperZ said:
But do you know what a scattering "cross section" actually means? This is the "effective size" of an electron, by itself.

And what does this "r" have anything to do with the 1s hydrogen atom? You appear to be mixing two different quantities together that have nothing to do with one another.

But again, you refused to indicate what all of this is all about. Go read a physics publication. Read the abstract. It tells the readers what you intend to do and WHY. This is something you have consistently neglected to show here, even after repeated queries!

Zz.
the first energy relation deals with an electron revolving with velocity in the 1s shell and has energy given as

##8 \frac{V}{\mu _0} \textbf{B}_{0}##

The second energy relation deals with the same energy being given out from the electron and instead of a revolving electron in an orbital we look at the electron in its rest frame. This energy formula becomes

##2 \pi r^2\frac{c}{\mu _0} B_{0}^2\frac{1}{f}##

After that I equate those two. I guess a question would be can you equate those. And if not why not?

The word "emit" is nowhere to be found in Libert's message or the Quora thread.
It's one thing to misunderstand what someone else said. It's another to misrepresent what they said.

fisher garry said:
If we instead start with E=hf and see if we can get something that makes sense
You can't. ##E=hf## relates the energy and frequency of a photon so is completely irrelevant to any problem involving electromagnetic waves. It is always possible to torture unrelated equations into superficial equalities, and that's all you're doing here.

At this point it is time to close this thread.

Likes davenn, weirdoguy and anorlunda