Calculating the energy savings of an insulated cavity in home wall construction

In summary: So, the house would use about 8460 Kw (13,200 BTUH x 9500) of energy per year if it were not insulated.In summary, a cavity in the wall not insulated can result in a loss of energy through the wall. The amount of energy lost depends on the type of wall and how well it is insulated.
ioan
I am a client who bought a new house and the cavity in the wall was not insulated.

I can calculate the U value of the uninsulated wall and the U Value of the wall if it were insulated correctly.

front the two different U values I want to calculate how much extra energy is being lost through a meter square of the uninsulated wall.

I want this figure is Kw per meter square. Then I can measure the area of the wall and by using a typical heat of 21 degrees C and a typical heating pattern calculate how many additional Kws they have had to purchase since they bought the house.

Any help would be very welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Start with the definition of R value.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-value_(insulation)#R-value_definition.

Then, I found this source for uninsulated walls. Natuarlly, it depends on construction methods and materials.
https://builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/InsulUpgrd/RValues.htm
1673272677525.png

Concrete and Block Walls:
Above grade concrete wall including inside and outside air films = R 1.2 for 6 inch, R1.4 for 8 inch

Concrete block wall with air in cavities = R 2.0

Concrete block wall with Perlite in cavities = R 2.9

Likes Lnewqban
ioan said:
Then I can measure the area of the wall and by using a typical heat of 21 degrees C and a typical heating pattern calculate how many additional Kws they have had to purchase since they bought the house.
From your U values, you have the heat loss per square meter for both insulated and uninsulated walls. The heat loss has units of Kw per square meter per degree. Carefully check the units of your U values because they may or may not be in Kw. Multiply by 24 to get Kwh per day per square meter.

Then you find the heating degree days (HDD) for your area. Here's a good description of what HDD is in an area that uses metric units: https://safety.networkrail.co.uk/ho...nagement/energy-management-tools/degree-days/. I used search term annual heating degree days to find it.

Then multiply the Kwh per day per degree times the degree days per year to get Kwh per year. Do this for both the insulated and uninsulated walls, then subtract to find the savings. I used this method to estimate the annual gas usage for my house, and it agreed nicely with the total gas consumption. If you want the total heat loss for the house, calculate walls, windows, roof, doors, and foundation separately, then add the results. A good way to check your calculations is to do this calculation for the entire house, and compare to the annual heating bills.

The total heat loss in my house was calculated to be 13,200 BTUH (3.9 Kw) at 70 deg F inside and -20 deg F outside, and measurements confirmed that number. My own house is in an area where the average heating load is 9500 heating degree days per year, based on 65 degree F base and degrees F.

Likes Lnewqban and russ_watters

1. How do you calculate the energy savings of an insulated cavity in home wall construction?

The energy savings of an insulated cavity in home wall construction can be calculated by comparing the energy usage of a home with and without insulation in the wall cavities. This can be done by measuring the energy consumption of the home before and after the insulation is installed, and then calculating the difference between the two. Alternatively, computer simulations and energy modeling can also be used to estimate the energy savings.

2. What factors affect the energy savings of an insulated cavity in home wall construction?

The energy savings of an insulated cavity in home wall construction can be affected by various factors such as the type and thickness of insulation, the climate conditions, the size and layout of the home, and the efficiency of the heating and cooling systems. Proper installation and maintenance of the insulation also play a significant role in achieving maximum energy savings.

3. How much energy can be saved by insulating wall cavities in a home?

The amount of energy saved by insulating wall cavities in a home can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. On average, properly insulated walls can save homeowners up to 20% on their energy bills. However, this number can be higher or lower depending on the specific circumstances of each home.

4. Is it worth it to insulate wall cavities for energy savings?

Yes, insulating wall cavities is worth it for energy savings in the long run. While the upfront cost of insulation may seem high, the energy savings over time can outweigh the initial investment. Insulation also helps to improve the overall comfort and energy efficiency of a home, making it a worthwhile investment for both financial and environmental reasons.

5. Can the energy savings of insulated wall cavities decrease over time?

The energy savings of insulated wall cavities can decrease over time if the insulation is not properly maintained. Over time, insulation can settle or become damaged, reducing its effectiveness. It is important to regularly check and maintain the insulation in order to ensure maximum energy savings. Additionally, as energy efficiency standards and technologies improve, the energy savings of insulated wall cavities may also increase over time.