Calculating the ionization rate in the Interstellar medium?

In summary, the conversation discusses the research on high energy astrophysics, specifically focusing on cosmic rays and their intensity and ionization rate. The speaker is confused about how to calculate the ionization rate and asks for clarification on the material and method used in the calculation. The conversation also mentions using X-ray and gamma radiation to calculate reaction rates and provides additional resources for further reading.
unicornflyers
I hope putting this in the high energy section is the right section (if not, please let me know which would be more appropriate!) I felt this was appropriate since the work I am doing is high energy astrophysics.

So I'm doing some research this summer, and my tasks were to take some data from satellite observations on cosmic rays, and find the Cosmic Ray intensity (sometimes referred to as flux, but is also known as the Cosmic ray spectrum) for several species. This includes protons, electrons, helium, and carbon.

The units on the intensity are $ [particles.m^{-2}.s^{-1}.sr^{-1}.(GeV/nuc^{-1}]$.

The next task is to find the ionization rate. Here is where I am confused.

I have these equations for intensity. I do not know how to get an ionization rate out of this. I know, in principle, what I should do to start, and that is the following:

1) compute the energy in the material per unit thickness
2) divide by the average ionization potentialBut here is my question. For the Interstellar Medium (ISM), what material are we considering to compute the energy? And how would we compute this per thickness?

Any time I have ever seen ionization potential, it was just looking it up on the periodic table. How do we actually go about computing the ionization potential?

Finally, to get the ionization rate, do we divide the energy by the ionization potential?

Thank you all!

unicornflyers said:
But here is my question. For the Interstellar Medium (ISM), what material are we considering to compute the energy? And how would we compute this per thickness?
One more or less answered that question earlier in the OP.
unicornflyers said:
some data from satellite observations on cosmic rays, and find the Cosmic Ray intensity (sometimes referred to as flux, but is also known as the Cosmic ray spectrum) for several species. This includes protons, electrons, helium, and carbon.

In addition to particles, one also has X-ray and gamma radiation. To get reaction rates, one would use the integrated product of the flux and the cross-section for the particular reaction.

Here is an article on ISM ionization rates with citations.
http://www.pnas.org/content/103/33/12269.full

See also - http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast871/Notes/Intro.pdf for some background

1. How is the ionization rate calculated in the Interstellar medium?

The ionization rate in the Interstellar medium is calculated using the following formula:
Ionization rate = recombination rate + photoionization rate + collisional ionization rate.
The recombination rate is the rate at which free electrons and ions recombine to form neutral atoms, the photoionization rate is the rate at which photons from stars or other sources ionize atoms, and the collisional ionization rate is the rate at which atoms are ionized due to collisions with other particles.

2. What factors affect the ionization rate in the Interstellar medium?

The ionization rate in the Interstellar medium can be affected by various factors such as the density of the medium, the temperature, the presence of radiation sources, and the chemical composition. Higher densities and temperatures can lead to higher collisional ionization rates, while the presence of radiation sources can increase the photoionization rate.

3. How does the ionization rate vary across different regions of the Interstellar medium?

The ionization rate can vary significantly across different regions of the Interstellar medium. In regions with high densities and temperatures, such as molecular clouds, the collisional ionization rate can dominate. In regions with high levels of radiation, such as the vicinity of hot stars, the photoionization rate can be the dominant factor. Additionally, the ionization rate can also vary depending on the chemical composition of the medium.

4. What methods are used to measure the ionization rate in the Interstellar medium?

There are several methods that can be used to measure the ionization rate in the Interstellar medium. One common method is using spectroscopy to study the emission lines from ionized atoms. Another method involves measuring the intensity of radio waves emitted by ionized particles. Additionally, computer simulations and models can also be used to estimate the ionization rate in different regions of the Interstellar medium.

5. How does the ionization rate impact the formation of stars and planets in the Interstellar medium?

The ionization rate plays a crucial role in the formation of stars and planets in the Interstellar medium. As the ionization rate affects the chemical composition and temperature of the medium, it can influence the formation of molecular clouds, which are the birthplaces of stars. Additionally, the ionization rate can also impact the formation of planetary systems by influencing the amount of gas and dust available for planet formation.