Calculating the Limit of Sequence $(y_n)$ with $(x_n)$ Limit = $\frac{\pi^2}{6}$

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the limit of a sequence $(y_n)$ which is the sum of odd terms in a series $(x_n)$ with a known limit of $\frac{\pi^2}{6}$. The solution involves subtracting the sum of even terms from the sum of all terms, resulting in a final limit of $\frac{\pi^2}{8}$.
Vali
I have the following sequence $(x_{n})$ , $x_{n}=1+\frac{1}{2^{2}}+...+\frac{1}{n^{2}}$ which has the limit $\frac{\pi ^{2}}{6}$.I need to calculate the limit of the sequence $(y_{n})$, $y_{n}=1+\frac{1}{3^{2}}+...+\frac{1}{(2n-1)^{2}}$
I don't know how to start.I think I need to solve the limit for all the sequence ( even n + odd n) then from the "big limit" I should subtract $\frac{\pi ^{2}}{6}$.How to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vali said:
I have the following sequence $(x_{n})$ , $x_{n}=1+\frac{1}{2^{2}}+...+\frac{1}{n^{2}}$ which has the limit $\frac{\pi ^{2}}{6}$.I need to calculate the limit of the sequence $(y_{n})$, $y_{n}=1+\frac{1}{3^{2}}+...+\frac{1}{(2n-1)^{2}}$
I don't know how to start.I think I need to solve the limit for all the sequence ( even n + odd n) then from the "big limit" I should subtract $\frac{\pi ^{2}}{6}$.How to start?

$x_n$ and $y_n$ are series ... sums of a sequence.$\left(1 + \dfrac{1}{2^2} + \dfrac{1}{3^2} + ... + \dfrac{1}{n^2} + ... \right)-\left(1 + \dfrac{1}{3^2} + \dfrac{1}{5^2} + ... + \dfrac{1}{(2n-1)^2} + ... \right) = \dfrac{1}{2^2} + \dfrac{1}{4^2} + \dfrac{1}{6^2} + ... + \dfrac{1}{(2n)^2} + \, ...$

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{n^2} - \sum_{n=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{(2n-1)^2} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{(2n)^2} = \dfrac{1}{4} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{n^2} = \dfrac{1}{4} \cdot \dfrac{\pi^2}{6} = \dfrac{\pi^2}{24}$

$\displaystyle \text{note} \implies \sum_{n=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{n^2} - \sum_{n=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{(2n)^2} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{(2n-1)^2}$

Hi!
Thank you for the response!I found a solution, I got $\frac{\pi ^2}{8}$
View attachment 8794

Attachments

• tumblr_messaging_pmks4ed8My1tyt8xs_1280.jpg
    tumblr_messaging_pmks4ed8My1tyt8xs_1280.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 61

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the position of the term in the sequence is called its index. For example, the sequence 1, 4, 7, 10, 13... has a rule of adding 3 to the previous term to get the next term.

2. What is a limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms in the sequence approach as the index gets larger and larger. In other words, it is the value that the terms get closer and closer to, but may never actually reach.

3. How do you calculate the limit of a sequence?

To calculate the limit of a sequence, you need to find the pattern or rule that the terms follow and then use that to determine what value the terms approach as the index gets larger. This can be done algebraically or graphically, depending on the sequence.

4. What is the relationship between the limit of a sequence and the limit of its corresponding function?

If the sequence is defined by a function, then the limit of the sequence will be the same as the limit of the function as the input approaches infinity. This is because the terms in the sequence are just the output values of the function at different inputs.

5. How do you know if a sequence has a limit?

A sequence has a limit if the terms in the sequence approach a specific value as the index gets larger. This can be confirmed by graphing the sequence or by using mathematical techniques such as the squeeze theorem or the monotone convergence theorem.