Calculating the load on planetary gear from driving torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of solid works file and driving sun gear torque to calculate the load on the contact point for planetary gears. The force on the planetary gears and ring gear teeth is determined by 1/3 of the input torque and the pitch diameter of the input shaft gear. The spider connection is mentioned but deemed irrelevant to the calculation. The question also asks if there is a general equation that can be used without knowing the power and rpm.
Inneedofhelp
Hello,

I am very new to gears I am fairly confused about planetary gears. I want to know the load on the gears contact point between the sun and the planets and the planets and the ring, assuming the ring not moving. Given I have the solid works file ,the pressure angle, and the gear ratios, I can easily calculate the distances, teeth numbers, etc. I also know the initial driving torque of the sun gear.
So, my question is, utilizing the solid works file and the driving sun gear torque how do I calculate the load on the contact point for each of the gears? Is there a general equation I can use without knowing the power and the rpm?

Thank You
1.PNG
2.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Your diagram omits the spider connection for the three planetary gears; but, of your question that is really irrelevant. The force on the three planetary gear's tooth and central input shaft gear tooth will be 1/3 x input torque x 1/2 x pitch diameter of the input shaft gear and will be same for both the inside and outside gear teeth on each planetary gear and on the ring gear teeth that does gears are contacting.

What is the formula for calculating the load on planetary gear from driving torque?

The formula for calculating the load on planetary gear from driving torque is Load = (Torque x Gear Ratio) / (Pitch Diameter x Pressure Angle).

What is the gear ratio in planetary gear systems?

The gear ratio in planetary gear systems is the ratio of the number of teeth on the sun gear to the number of teeth on the ring gear. This can also be calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the planet gears.

How do I determine the pitch diameter of a planetary gear?

The pitch diameter of a planetary gear can be determined by dividing the number of teeth on the gear by its pitch.

What is the pressure angle in planetary gear systems?

The pressure angle in planetary gear systems is the angle between the line of action of the teeth and the tangent to the pitch circles. This angle affects the amount of force that can be transmitted through the gears.

What factors can affect the load on planetary gear from driving torque?

The load on planetary gear from driving torque can be affected by factors such as the gear ratio, pitch diameter, pressure angle, and the material and design of the gears. Other external factors such as misalignment, vibration, and shock loads can also impact the load on the gears.