Calculating the magnetic field of a closed magnetic circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnetic field strength for an electromagnet with an O-shaped core that forms a closed magnetic circuit. The formula for calculating magnetic flux is provided and the only confusion lies in the value of L, which represents the total length of the magnetic field path. Some suggest that the turn density of the winding wire is hidden as N/L and it does not matter where along the length the turns are located.
EddieP
I am interested in calculating the magnetic field strength produced by an electromagnet with a core shaped like an O that forms a closed magnetic circuit, shown in the attached image that can also be seen here - (http://staff.ee.sun.ac.za/pjrandewi...uctor_magnetic_circuit_with_ungapped_core.png) Since there is no air gap, I have assumed that the path of the magnetic field is a closed loop through the high permeability material of the core and the field strength the "O core" electromagnet is going to be higher than the field strength of the standard "I core" electromagnet. I am just wondering if any wiser people than myself could tell me whether I am using the right formula, in the right way because there is a point that confuses me.

I have found the following formula on the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet under the heading "Closed Magnetic Circuit"

This is for calculating magnetic flux (B) in Tesla "For a closed magnetic circuit".

B = NIμ/L

Where

B = Magnetic Field (Magnetic Flux Density) in Tesla

N = Number of turns of the wire on the electromagnet

I = Current in the winding wire in Amperes

μ = Permeability of the electromagnet core material in Newton per square ampere

L = Total length of the magnetic field path in Meters

The thing that confuses me is the L value - Total length of the magnetic field path in Meters. I thought I needed to include the Turn Density of an electromagnet when calculating the field strength, but this formula seems not to include the Turn Density.

The formula seems to say the L value should be the entire length of the O shaped core, and the attached image seems to say this as well. If I use this as the length, I do not see how the Turn Density of the winding wire can be derived. If the length value is just the length of the area of the core with the windings, I can see how the Turn Density can be factored into the equation, but using the entire length seems to eliminate the Turn Density as a factor - which seems incorrect. Can anyone suggest how to get a value for L?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 800px-Inductor_magnetic_circuit_with_ungapped_core.png
    800px-Inductor_magnetic_circuit_with_ungapped_core.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 916
Physics news on Phys.org
The turn density is hidden as N/L.
Where along the length the turns are does not matter (much), so 10 turns close together and 10 turns spread out give the same result.

1. How do I calculate the magnetic field of a closed magnetic circuit?

To calculate the magnetic field of a closed magnetic circuit, you need to use Ampere's Law. This law states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through the loop multiplied by the permeability of the material in the loop.

2. What is a closed magnetic circuit?

A closed magnetic circuit is a path or loop made up of a magnetic material, such as iron, that allows for a continuous flow of magnetic flux. This closed loop helps to concentrate and amplify the magnetic field within the loop.

3. What is the permeability of a material?

Permeability is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. It is a constant that represents the ability of a material to support the formation of a magnetic field. Different materials have different permeability values, with iron having a high permeability compared to air or vacuum.

4. How does the number of turns in a coil affect the magnetic field in a closed magnetic circuit?

The number of turns in a coil, or the number of times a wire is wrapped around the magnetic material in a closed circuit, directly affects the strength of the magnetic field. Increasing the number of turns will increase the magnetic field, while decreasing the number of turns will decrease the magnetic field.

5. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a closed magnetic circuit?

The strength of the magnetic field in a closed magnetic circuit is affected by the current passing through the loop, the permeability of the material, and the number of turns in the coil. Additionally, the size and shape of the loop, as well as the distance between the loop and any external magnetic fields, can also impact the strength of the magnetic field.