Calculating the magnetic field of an infinite solenoid

In summary: I have done it. My mistake was that I was considering that P will always be out of the solenoid at a distance of z but later I realized that P is fixed and as we increase the length of solenoid P will inside of it.In summary, the magnetic field at point P on the axis of a tightly wound solenoid will be determined by the following equation: I, n, a, l, z.
Adesh
Homework Statement
Find the magnetic field at point P on the axis of a tightly wound solenoid (helical coil) consisting of n turns per unit length wrapped around a cylindrical tube of radius ##a## and carrying current ##I##(Figure 25). Express your answer in terms of ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## (it's easiest that way). Consider the turns to be essentially circular, and use the result of example 6. What is the field on the axis of infinite solenoid (infinite in both directions) ?
Relevant Equations
## \tan \theta _1 = \frac{a}{z} ##
## \tan \theta _2 = \frac{a}{l+z}## where l is the length of the solenoid and z is the distance from the forward center to the point P.
Here is the image
BAEC3064-7359-46AD-A3EC-903232DFD6C6.jpeg

## \tan \theta _1 = \frac{a}{z} ##
## \tan \theta _2 = \frac{a}{l+z}## where l is the length of the solenoid and z is the distance from the forward center to the point P.

My doubt is how ##\theta_1## going to become 0 and ##\theta_2## ##\pi## as the length of solenoid going to go to infinity. Please help me in seeing that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Adesh said:
My doubt is how ##\theta_1## going to become 0 and ##\theta_2## ##\pi## as the length of solenoid going to go to infinity. Please help me in seeing that.
In which expression would that be ?

BvU said:
In which expression would that be ?
Homework statement states the question. Should I write it in the main body?

Adesh said:
Find the magnetic field at point P on the axis of a tightly wound solenoid
So I expect you have an expression for the magnetic field at a point P in terms of ##I, n, a, l## and ##z##, but expressed in ##I, n, \theta_1## and ##\theta_2##. Post what you have worked out so far.

If the length of the coil is increased on both sides, ##l## and ##z## will go to infinity and P will be enveloped by the coil. What happens to ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## as 'defined' in the picture ?

BvU said:
So I expect you have an expression for the magnetic field at a point P in terms of ##I, n, a, l## and ##z##, but expressed in ##I, n, \theta_1## and ##\theta_2##. Post what you have worked out so far.

If the length of the coil is increased on both sides, ##l## and ##z## will go to infinity and P will be enveloped by the coil. What happens to ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## as 'defined' in the picture ?
I have done it. My mistake was that I was considering that P will always be out of the solenoid at a distance of z but later I realized that P is fixed and as we increase the length of solenoid P will inside of it.

Likes BvU

What is an infinite solenoid?

An infinite solenoid is a theoretical object that has an infinite length and a very small radius. It is often used in physics and engineering experiments as an approximation of a long, thin coil of wire.

How do you calculate the magnetic field of an infinite solenoid?

The magnetic field of an infinite solenoid can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length of the solenoid, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

What is the direction of the magnetic field inside an infinite solenoid?

The magnetic field inside an infinite solenoid is uniform and parallel to the axis of the solenoid. This means that the field lines are all parallel and in the same direction.

What happens to the magnetic field outside of an infinite solenoid?

Outside of an infinite solenoid, the magnetic field is very weak and approaches zero as you move further away from the solenoid. This is because the magnetic field lines become more spread out and cancel each other out.

How does the magnetic field of an infinite solenoid change with current and number of turns?

The magnetic field of an infinite solenoid is directly proportional to the current flowing through the solenoid and the number of turns per unit length. This means that increasing either the current or the number of turns will result in a stronger magnetic field.