Calculating the magnitude of an impulse

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the impulse delivered to a soccer ball when it is bounced off a player's head. The direction and magnitude of the impulse are determined using the equations for impulse and the Pythagorean theorem. It is important to use the full equations rather than simplifying to just velocities to ensure accuracy in future calculations.
Nkele

Homework Statement

Aplayer bounces a 0.43-kg soccer ball off her head, changing
the velocity of the ball from
Vi = (8.8 m/s)x + (-2.3 m/s)y
to
Vf = (5.2 m/s)xN + (3.7 m/s)y
[/B]
. If the ball is in contact with the
player’s head for 6.7 ms, what are (a) the direction and (b) the
magnitude of the impulse delivered to the ball?

Will I be wrong if I use just change in velocities(ie excluding) in x-comp and y-comp to calculate direction of the impulse.

I did calculation which gave me theta of -59.03, and when using coordinates the theta falls in second quadrant.

Homework Equations

1. delta P(x comp)= Pf(x)-Pi(x)= -1.548
2. delta P(y comp)=Pf(y)-Pi(y)=2.58

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the solutions I calculated magnitude of impulse as 3.03 kg.m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks about right.

So is using just velocities o calculate magnitude acceptable

Nkele said:
So is using just velocities o calculate magnitude acceptable
If I understand correctly, you used the equation for the impulse, ##\vec J=m\Delta \vec v## to find the impulse in component form and obtained the magnitude using the Pythagorean theorem. Then you found the angle using the expression ##\theta = \arctan(J_y/J_x)##. That's how you should think of it and it is the correct method. Simplifying it to "using just velocities" is dangerous and could cause trouble next time you encounter something like this.

Ok, thank you very much for clarification

1. What is an impulse?

An impulse is a change in momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is impulse calculated?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time duration over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation I = F * t, where I is impulse, F is force, and t is time.

3. What is the unit of impulse?

The unit of impulse is the Newton-second (N*s) in the SI system of measurement. In other systems, it can also be expressed as pound-second (lb*s) or dyne-second (dyn*s).

4. How does the magnitude of an impulse affect an object?

The magnitude of an impulse determines the amount of change in an object's momentum. A larger impulse will result in a greater change in momentum, which can lead to a change in the object's velocity.

5. How is the direction of an impulse represented?

The direction of an impulse is represented by the direction of the force applied to an object. It is typically indicated by a positive or negative sign, depending on whether the force is in the same or opposite direction as the object's motion.