Calculating the Mass of Earth's Atmosphere: What Assumptions Were Made?

In summary, atmospheric pressure is 101kPa. A sphere has a surface area of 4∏r^2, which results in a force of 101 x 1000 Pa. The acceleration due to gravity is W = mg.
Nubcake
1.Atmospheric pressure is 101kPa
a) Calculate the total force exerted by the atmosphere on the surface of the Earth. Radius of Earth is 6.4 Mm
b)Calculate the mass of the Earth's atmosphere , State any assumptions made.

P = F/A ρ = m/v [\b]

a) Surface area of a sphere is 4∏r^2

A = 4 x ∏ x (6.4 x 10^6)^2
A = 5.147 x 10^14 m^2

P = 101 x 1000 Pa

F = (101 x 1000) x (5.147 x 10^14) N
F = 5.2 x 10^19 N

b) Not sure what to do here , I've only got force , pressure and area , maybe volume too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nubcake said:
b) Not sure what to do here , I've only got force , pressure and area , maybe volume too.

You've also got the acceleration due to gravity. Make some reasonable assumptions about the average 'g' acting on a 'lump sum' model of the atmosphere.

- What's a reasonable approximation for the height of the atmosphere?
- How does it compare to the radius of the Earth?
- How much does g vary from the bottom to the top of the atmosphere? Is it significant for your purposes?

Why doesn't F = ma work in this situation ?

Nubcake said:
Why doesn't F = ma work in this situation ?

Who says it doesn't?

gneill said:
Who says it doesn't?

Well I used it and got a different answer to the right answer , instead of F = ma , W = mg is used.

Nubcake said:
Well I used it and got a different answer to the right answer , instead of F = ma , W = mg is used.

W, weight, is a force. g is an acceleration. It's just f = ma using different variable names.

You'll have to show your work so that we can see what it means when you say
you "got a different answer". Be sure to make your assumptions clear.

I guess I must have made a mistake with F = ma now that I think about it , I didn't rearrange the formula for mass .

Related to Calculating the Mass of Earth's Atmosphere: What Assumptions Were Made?

1. What is the mass of Earth's atmosphere?

The mass of Earth's atmosphere is approximately 5.5 quadrillion tons or 5.5 x 10^18 kilograms.

2. How is the mass of Earth's atmosphere measured?

The mass of Earth's atmosphere is typically measured using remote sensing techniques, such as satellites and radar, which can calculate the atmospheric density and thickness at different altitudes. These measurements are then used to estimate the total mass of the atmosphere.

3. What units are used to express the mass of Earth's atmosphere?

The mass of Earth's atmosphere is often expressed in kilograms (kg) or metric tons (t). However, in scientific calculations, the mass is commonly expressed in units of grams (g) or even atomic mass units (u).

4. How does the mass of Earth's atmosphere compare to the mass of the entire Earth?

The mass of Earth's atmosphere is very small compared to the mass of the entire Earth. It is estimated that the atmosphere makes up only about 0.00001% of the Earth's total mass.

5. Does the mass of Earth's atmosphere change over time?

Yes, the mass of Earth's atmosphere is constantly changing due to various factors such as human activities, natural events like volcanic eruptions, and weather patterns. However, these changes are relatively small and do not significantly affect the overall mass of the atmosphere.