Calculating the mechanical index of applied ultrasound

In summary, the equation for Mechanical Index (MI) is the peak rarefractional pressure divided by the root of the applied frequency. However, the pressure is reduced by an attenuation factor that depends on depth and frequency. An example calculation in the paper "Tutorial paper: thermal and mechanical indices" shows how to calculate MI using a 4 MHz pulse at 6cm, 2 Mpa, and a 0.3 dB/(cm⋅MHz) attenuation coefficient. The resulting MI is 0.44, but the dimensional analysis with units does not seem to match. The normalization factor in the formula accounts for this discrepancy and does not change the values.
rwooduk
On the surface, the equation is simply the peak rarefractional pressure divided by the root of the applied frequency:

##MI = \frac{P_{ra}}{\sqrt{f}}##

But the pressure is reduced/derated by an attenuation factor/coefficient that is dependent on depth and frequency e.g. ##0.3 \ dB / (cm \cdot MHz)##

An example calculation is given in the paper "Tutorial paper: thermal and mechanical indices". Where it takes a 4 MHz pulse, at 6cm, 2 Mpa, ##0.3 \ dB / (cm \cdot MHz)## and says the MI would be (2*0.44)/SQRT(4) = 0.44. I can't get the 0.44 because the dimensional analysis with units doesn't seem right.

##MI = \frac{MPa}{\sqrt{MHz}}\cdot \frac{dB}{cm\cdot MHz}##

I can easily calculate the attenuation, which is simply the attenuation coefficient multiplied by distance and frequency. Which for his example is 7.2 dB, I can also calculate intensity from this from I = I * 10^(-dB/10), but still don't get the 0.44.

Am I overcomplicating things?

Physics news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:
This is probably some help - note their approach seems a little different from yours-
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5336845/
Thanks, I did see that paper but it seems they do not factor in the attenuation due to tissue / depth at all. I should have probably put this in the physics sections above as I think I'm having a calculation problem, rather than a definition problem. But I really appreciate the reply, thanks.
[Thread moved from the Medical forum to the Physics forums by a Mentor]

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a normalization factor in the formula. If the factor is written in the denominator the units are ##\frac{MPa}{MHz^{1/2}}##. The formula I use is ##MI=\frac{p_{r.03}}{C_{MI}\sqrt{f}}## where ##C_{MI}## is this normalization constant. This is concerning the units.
For the value, the attenuation refers to the intensity. The intensity is proportional to the square of the acoustic pressure. So you have ##10 log(I_1/I_2)= 7.2 dB ## and ## 20 log(p_1/p_2)= 7.2 dB## so the pressure at 6 cm is derated to ##\frac{2 Mpa}{10^{0.36}} ## which is about 0.87 MPa. Divide this by ##\sqrt{4}## and you get about 0.44.

Edit.
In some papers they don't put the normaliation factor in the formula but it is assumed to be there.
It does not change the values.

Last edited:
Likes rwooduk
nasu said:
There is a normalization factor in the formula. If the factor is written in the denominator the units are ##\frac{MPa}{MHz^{1/2}}##. The formula I use is ##MI=\frac{p_{r.03}}{C_{MI}\sqrt{f}}## where ##C_{MI}## is this normalization constant. This is concerning the units.
For the value, the attenuation refers to the intensity. The intensity is proportional to the square of the acoustic pressure. So you have ##10 log(I_1/I_2)= 7.2 dB ## and ## 20 log(p_1/p_2)= 7.2 dB## so the pressure at 6 cm is derated to ##\frac{2 Mpa}{10^{0.36}} ## which is about 0.87 MPa. Divide this by ##\sqrt{4}## and you get about 0.44.

Edit.
In some papers they don't put the normaliation factor in the formula but it is assumed to be there.
It does not change the values.

Thank you very much nasu, I had completely messed up my calculation. Extremely helpful!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the mechanical index (MI) of applied ultrasound?

The mechanical index is a unitless parameter used to measure the potential for bioeffects in tissue caused by ultrasound waves. It takes into account the intensity and frequency of the ultrasound waves and is used to assess the safety of ultrasound procedures.

2. How is the mechanical index calculated?

The mechanical index is calculated by dividing the peak rarefactional pressure of the ultrasound wave by the square root of the frequency. This formula is represented as MI = (Peak rarefactional pressure)/(√Frequency).

3. What is the significance of the mechanical index in ultrasound imaging?

The mechanical index is important in ultrasound imaging because it helps determine the potential for harmful effects on tissues, such as cavitation and heating. It also helps guide the selection of appropriate ultrasound settings for different types of imaging procedures.

4. What is considered a safe mechanical index for ultrasound procedures?

A mechanical index of 0.4 or lower is generally considered safe for diagnostic ultrasound procedures. However, the safety threshold may vary depending on the type of tissue being imaged and the duration of the ultrasound exposure.

5. How can the mechanical index be adjusted during an ultrasound procedure?

The mechanical index can be adjusted by changing the ultrasound machine settings, such as the frequency and intensity of the waves. It is important for the operator to monitor and adjust the mechanical index to ensure safe and effective ultrasound imaging.