Calculating the MIPS Rating for a Multi-Processor System

In summary, the program contains 16 million instructions and 60% of the code can be executed in parallel. It is executed on a system with N processors and each instruction takes 1 cycle. When using only one processor, the execution time is twice as long as when using all N processors. The value of N is 6 and the effective MIPS rating for this program is 4000 on the single-processor system and 24000 on the N-processor system. The formula for calculating the speedup is 1/((non parallel) + (parallel/# processors)).
johnnyrocket
I need some help with this problem I am trying to solve if anyone can help.

Each instruction on a certain computer system requires 1 cycle for any type of instruction. This system includes N processors and is used to execute a program contain 16 million instructions and 60% of the code can be executed in parallel. All of the processors run at a 4GHz clock rate. If the program is executed using only one of the processors, the execution time is observed to be twice that required when using all N processors to execute the program.
--What is the value of N?
--What would be the effective MIPS rating for this program on the single-processor system and on the N-processor system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to convert the problem statement into an algebraic equation.

Ok. I think the MIPS equation is:

MIPS = number of Instructions / (time to execute * 1 million)

So I would say that I can assume that if each instruction takes 1 cycle, with a 4GHz processor, I can execute 4 *10^9 instructions per second. So:

MIPS = 16million / (.0004 seconds to execute 16mil instructions * 1 million)
= 4000 MIPS rating on a single processor?

You don't need to know the MIPS rating. Do what rcgldr suggested, which is to write the problem statement as an algebraic expression.

I'm not exactly sure what he's suggesting. The 2nd part of the question asks for mips rating for the single and N processor systems, so that's what I was trying to solve for. Can you offer me any guidance? Am I on the right track?

I think the correct formula is as follows, but I'm not sure:

Speedup = 1/((non parallel) +(parallel/# processors)). So given that they tell me the run time is 2x as fast on 6 processors, I'm guessing that is speedup. So I would say:

2 = 1/((.40)+(.60/N))
Which makes N = 6?

johnnyrocket said:
I think the correct formula is as follows, but I'm not sure:

Speedup = 1/((non parallel) +(parallel/# processors)). So given that they tell me the run time is 2x as fast on 6 processors, I'm guessing that is speedup. So I would say:

2 = 1/((.40)+(.60/N))
Which makes N = 6?

I meant to say 2x as fast on N processors.

johnnyrocket said:
Which makes N = 6?
Correct.

You do need the MIPS rating for the second half of the question, and you're earlier answer of 4000 MIPS for the single processor case was correct.

johnnyrocket said:
2 = 1/((.40)+(.60/N))
Which makes N = 6?
Right answer, but wrong formula. Since the run time with N processors is 1/2 the run time with one processor:

1/2 (runtime) = 40% (runtime) / 1 + 60% (runtime) / N

.5 = .4 / 1 + .6 / N
.1 = .6 / N
N = .6 / .1 = 6

What is a MIPS Rating?

A MIPS (Million Instructions Per Second) Rating is a measure of a computer processor's performance and speed. It indicates how many millions of instructions the processor can execute in one second.

How is the MIPS Rating calculated?

The MIPS Rating is calculated by dividing the total number of instructions executed in one second by one million. This is typically done by running a specific benchmark program on the processor and measuring its performance.

What factors can affect the MIPS Rating?

The MIPS Rating can be affected by several factors, such as the processor's clock speed, number of cores, instruction set architecture, and cache size. Other factors like the software being used and the operating system can also impact the rating.

What is a good MIPS Rating?

The definition of a good MIPS Rating can vary depending on the context and the specific processor being evaluated. Generally, a higher MIPS Rating indicates a faster processor, but it's important to consider other factors like the type of applications being run and the intended use of the computer.

Are there any limitations to using the MIPS Rating as a performance measure?

While the MIPS Rating is a useful indicator of a processor's performance, it should not be the only factor considered. The rating does not take into account other important factors like energy efficiency, multitasking capabilities, and real-world usage scenarios. It's important to look at a combination of benchmarks and real-world tests to fully evaluate a processor's performance.