Calculating the optical depth of an inhomogeous gas

In summary, the question is about calculating the optical depth for an inhomogeneous cloud of radius ##r##. The formula for the optical depth is given by ##\tau = \alpha \frac{\rho}{\rho_c}l## where ##\alpha## is the linear attenuation coefficient, ##\rho## is the density of the cloud, and ##\rho_c## is the density of the condensed phase. This formula is used when the linear attenuation coefficient for the gaseous form is not known. The problem is to calculate the optical depth for a spherical cloud with a finite mass density at ##r = 0##, ##\rho_0##. An attempt at the required integral is given, but there are concerns
colorofeternity
TL;DR Summary
Trying to find the required integral to calculate the optical depth for a cloud with a mass density that follows the inverse square law with a finite density at the center.
My question emerges from my desire to calculate the optical depth, which should be unitless, for an inhomgeneous cloud of radius ##r##. For a homogeneous medium, the optical depth can be defined in terms of the density of a cloud relative to the density of the condensed medium:

$$\tau = \alpha \frac{\rho}{\rho_c}l$$

Where ##\alpha## is the linear attenuation coefficient of light at a given wavelength for the material in question, ##\rho## is the density of the cloud and ##\rho_c## is the mass density of the condensed phase (assuming the cloud is all made of one material, lets say Iron). #l# is the path length of light through the cloud.
This form is used when the linear attenuation coefficient of the gaseous form of the material is unknown, as it is for many metallic gases. What I wish to do is calculate the optical depth for light passing through the spherical cloud of radius, ##r_0## given that the mass density of the cloud follows the inverse-square law with a finite mass density at ##r = 0##, ##\rho_0## (##kg/m^3##).
My attempt at the required integral is as follows:

$$\tau = \int_{0}^{r_0} \frac{\rho_0}{r^2} dr$$

However, I am unsure about this as this expression would give a diverging density at ##r = 0##, which isn't what is happening physically. If I add in an extra ##r^2## term as would be the case for spherical coordinates, then I would end up with a path length of ##r_0##, which seems odd. In addition, it seems that the units don't fully add up as I would expect ##\tau## to be unitless.

How should I approach this problem?

Science news on Phys.org

To calculate the optical depth for an inhomogeneous gas, you can use a similar approach as for a homogeneous medium, but instead of using the density of the cloud relative to the density of the condensed medium, you can use the density of the gas at a given point relative to the average gas density. This will give you a unitless optical depth that takes into account the varying density of the gas throughout the cloud.

The integral you have attempted is not correct as it does not take into account the varying density of the gas. Instead, you can use the following expression:

$$\tau = \int_{0}^{r_0} \frac{\rho(r)}{\bar{\rho}} \alpha(r) dr$$

Where ##\rho(r)## is the density of the gas at a given point, ##\bar{\rho}## is the average gas density, and ##\alpha(r)## is the linear attenuation coefficient at that point. This integral will give you the optical depth for light passing through the spherical cloud.

To address the issue of the diverging density at ##r = 0##, you can use a small cutoff radius, ##r_{min}##, and integrate from that radius instead of from ##r = 0##. This will prevent the density from becoming infinite and will still give you a good approximation of the optical depth.

In terms of units, the integral will give you a unitless optical depth, as desired. However, the linear attenuation coefficient, ##\alpha##, will have units of ##m^{-1}##. You can convert this to a unitless coefficient by dividing by the path length, ##l##, giving you a unitless attenuation coefficient, ##\alpha/l##. This can then be used in the integral to calculate the optical depth.

Overall, the key is to take into account the varying density of the gas throughout the cloud and to use a cutoff radius to prevent any diverging values. This approach will give you a more accurate and physically meaningful calculation of the optical depth for an inhomogeneous gas cloud.

1. How is the optical depth of an inhomogeneous gas calculated?

The optical depth of an inhomogeneous gas is calculated by integrating the gas density along the line of sight and multiplying it by the absorption cross section of the gas. This gives the total amount of absorption or scattering that occurs as light passes through the gas.

2. What factors affect the optical depth of an inhomogeneous gas?

The optical depth of an inhomogeneous gas is affected by the gas density, the distance the light travels through the gas, and the absorption cross section of the gas. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and composition of the gas can also play a role.

3. What is the significance of calculating the optical depth of an inhomogeneous gas?

Calculating the optical depth of an inhomogeneous gas allows scientists to understand the amount of absorption or scattering of light that occurs as it passes through the gas. This is important in many fields of study, including astrophysics, atmospheric science, and remote sensing.

4. How is the absorption cross section of a gas determined?

The absorption cross section of a gas is determined through laboratory experiments or theoretical calculations. It is a measure of the probability that a photon of a specific wavelength will be absorbed by a molecule of the gas.

5. Can the optical depth of an inhomogeneous gas be directly measured?

No, the optical depth of an inhomogeneous gas cannot be directly measured. Instead, it is inferred from observations of the gas's density and absorption cross section, as well as the distance the light travels through the gas. This calculation is based on the Beer-Lambert law, which describes the relationship between the optical depth and these other factors.