Calculating the pH of 0.1M Acetic Acid Neutralized by NaOH (Ka = 1.7 x 10^-5)

• Thread starter shaiqbashir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Ph
In summary, pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a substance on a scale of 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic, 7 being neutral, and 14 being the most basic. Acetic acid is a weak organic acid commonly found in vinegar with a chemical formula of CH3COOH. Its pH is approximately 2.4, making it a weak acid. The pH of acetic acid decreases as its concentration increases due to the increase in hydrogen ion concentration. The pKa of acetic acid is 4.76, which is equal to the pH at which the concentration of acetic acid and its conjugate base, acetate, are equal.
shaiqbashir
Hi Guys!

cakculate the pH of a 0.1M acetic acid when it is half neutralized by NaOH solution (Ka= 1.7 x 10^-5)

Ans: 4.7695

My dear friends! I am unable to understand the language of this question , Please tell me this question in some easier words so that i can just solve it on. A little hint will work i guess

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You start with solution of acetic acid and add NaOH till half of the acid reacted.

Hello! Thank you for reaching out for help. It seems like the question is asking for the pH of a solution containing 0.1M acetic acid and NaOH solution, which is a strong base. The Ka value given is the acid dissociation constant for acetic acid, which is a measure of its strength. The solution is asking for the pH when half of the acetic acid has been neutralized by the NaOH. This means that half of the acid molecules have been converted into their conjugate base form. To solve this, you can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which relates the pH to the concentration of the acid and its conjugate base. I hope this helps!

Related to Calculating the pH of 0.1M Acetic Acid Neutralized by NaOH (Ka = 1.7 x 10^-5)

1. What is the definition of pH?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a substance. It is a scale ranging from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic, 7 being neutral, and 14 being the most basic.

2. What is acetic acid?

Acetic acid is a weak organic acid with the chemical formula CH3COOH. It is commonly found in vinegar and is also known as ethanoic acid.

3. What is the pH of pure acetic acid?

The pH of pure acetic acid is approximately 2.4. This makes it a weak acid, as it is closer to the neutral pH of 7 than the highly acidic pH of 0.

4. How does the pH of acetic acid change in different concentrations?

The pH of acetic acid will decrease as the concentration increases, meaning it will become more acidic. This is because the concentration of hydrogen ions, which determine pH, increases as the concentration of acetic acid increases.

5. What is the relationship between pH and pKa for acetic acid?

The pKa of acetic acid is 4.76. This value is important because it is equal to the pH at which the concentration of acetic acid and its conjugate base, acetate, are equal. This means that at a pH of 4.76, half of the acetic acid molecules will be dissociated into acetate ions.