Calculating the power transformed in a real battery

I understand now.In summary, the power transformed by the battery in this circuit can be calculated using the equations P = VI and P = I2R. The sum of these two powers, VI and I2R, represents the total power transformed by the battery, as the electrical power produced by the cell is equal to the input power to the internal resistance.
Faiq

Homework Statement

There is a battery producing emf V and the current around the circuit is I. The battery has an internal resistance of R. What is the power transformed by the battery

Homework Equations

P = VI
P= I2R

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe P=VI+I2R because there is some electrical energy converted in the cell resulting in the power VI And then the same power is used to create power I2R in the internal resistance.
So shouldn't it be the sum of the two powers because it is the total power transformed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Faiq said:
Maybe P=VI+I2R because there is some electrical energy converted in the cell resulting in the power VI And then the same power is used to create power I2R in the internal resistance.

I think you are on the right lines but your explanation isn't very clear.

What do you mean by "then the same power is used" ?

Electrical power produced by cell = Input power to internal resitance

OK.

1. What is the formula for calculating the power transformed in a real battery?

The formula for calculating the power transformed in a real battery is P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

2. How do you determine the voltage of a battery?

The voltage of a battery can be determined by measuring the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals with a voltmeter.

3. How do you calculate the current in a battery?

The current in a battery can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the resistance in the circuit, using Ohm's law (I = V/R).

4. What is the significance of power transformation in a real battery?

The power transformed in a real battery determines the amount of energy that can be delivered to a device or circuit. It is an important factor in determining the battery's overall performance and lifespan.

5. How does the power transformed in a real battery affect its capacity?

The power transformed in a real battery is directly related to its capacity. A higher power output will result in a shorter battery life, while a lower power output will result in a longer battery life. This is because a higher power output requires more energy to be delivered from the battery in a shorter amount of time.