Calculating the rate of rise of air

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that affect the speed at which a parcel of air rises, including temperature and density. The participants suggest conducting an experiment or using calculations to estimate the rate of movement, with the help of concepts such as Charles' Law and buoyant force. They also mention that meteorologists often perform similar calculations on a larger scale, and that glider pilots rely on this number for safe flying. The conversation concludes with a mention of birds using thermals to gain altitude and how location can affect the rate of climb.
Gavin Sweeten
I know there are many factors that affect this question, such as altitude etc, but in its simplest form...

- How fast does a parcel of air rise if, say, the parcel of air is at 5 degrees centigrade in a room filled with air at 0 degrees C. (Maybe I should be using Kelvin?). Just need to get an approximate figure in m per second.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to get a general idea of this think about a balloon filled with air . Assume that the balloon itself weighs nothing and that it always holds the same volume of air .

If you fill your balloon with hot air then seal it and release it in a room full of cold air what forces do you think would be acting on the balloon that would cause it to rise ?

Likes boneh3ad
There is a simple experiment you could carry out to get an idea about rate of movement. Shine a torch through the air above a hot object (say an electric hob plate or a clothes iron. In a dark room, you will see the dust being carried up by the convection currents at a similar speed to your "parcel". Check the temperature of the rising air and of the room.
Yes - Kelvin temperature would perhaps be better as the density will be pretty well inversely proportional to the air temperature in K. (Charles' Law, I think.)
A calculation would be harder than an experiment because it would depend on the size of the parcel, I think. This would be because the friction against the ambient air would be proportional to area (r2) and the buoyant force would be proportional to the volume (r3).

Likes anorlunda
What Nidum said. Here is a good description of how to estimate the rate of rise for a massless spherical balloon: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/dragsphere.html. It's an iterative calculation because you need the velocity to get the drag coefficient to get the velocity. That's after you calculate the lifting force from the density difference.

For a better estimate, find a meteorology forum. Meteorologists do this type of calculation all the time, although on a much larger scale.

JRMichler said:
Meteorologists do this type of calculation all the time, although on a much larger scale.
Very different. I wonder whether extrapolating on Cloud - sized parcels would work?

Glider pilots live or die on that number. They actively seek "thermals" to gain altitude. I'm not an expert, but I have seen 100 meters/minute and I suspect that three times that rate is possible.

Do you live in a place where you see flocks of soaring birds flying tight circles in the sky? They are riding thermals up. If you're clever, you can measure their rate of climb using trigonometry.

Near mountains, much higher vertical rates are found, but there is more than temperature at play.

Glider climbing at 14kts for awhile. That's 16mph or 7m/S upwards.

Likes anorlunda

1. How is the rate of rise of air calculated?

The rate of rise of air is calculated by using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. By measuring the change in any two of these variables, the rate of change in the third variable can be calculated.

2. What factors affect the rate of rise of air?

The rate of rise of air can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, humidity, and atmospheric conditions. Changes in any of these variables can impact the density of air and therefore affect its rate of rise.

3. Can the rate of rise of air be measured in different units?

Yes, the rate of rise of air can be measured in different units depending on the specific application. Some common units used are meters per second, feet per minute, and kilometers per hour.

4. How is the rate of rise of air used in weather forecasting?

The rate of rise of air plays a crucial role in weather forecasting as it helps meteorologists understand the movement of air masses and the formation of weather patterns. By calculating the rate of rise of air, they can predict the likelihood of precipitation, wind patterns, and temperature changes.

5. Is the rate of rise of air constant?

No, the rate of rise of air is not constant and can vary depending on the specific conditions and location. For example, air in a warm and humid environment will have a different rate of rise compared to air in a cold and dry environment. Additionally, the rate of rise can also change with altitude.