Calculating the speed air comes out of a fan

In summary, to calculate the speed at which air comes out of the drone's propellers, use the propeller thrust equation and assume a weight distribution between the four propellers. The given values needed for the calculation are the mass of the drone (0.42kg), the length of each blade (0.21m), the air density (1.3 kg/m3), and the acceleration due to gravity (10 m/s^2).
bigbob512
TL;DR Summary
If i have a drone with four propellers with a mass of m = 0.42kg, the diameter of each blade d = 0.21m and the air density is 1.3 kg/m3. How do i calculate the speed which air comes out with. Your help will be much appreciated, thank you.

Hi, I have a task where i have to calculate the speed of which the air is flowing out of a drones propeller fan.
This is all i have been given:
The mass of the drone m = 0.42kg, There are four propellers the lenght of each blade d = 0.21m, the air density is 1.3 kg/m3 and g=10 m/s^2y. And the propellers generate enough force to keep the drone in a rest position in the sky. How do i calculate the speed which air comes out with. Your help will be much appreciated, thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
  • Informative
Likes russ_watters, berkeman and Lnewqban

1. How do you calculate the speed of air coming out of a fan?

The speed of air coming out of a fan can be calculated by dividing the volume of air being moved by the fan (in cubic feet per minute or CFM) by the area of the fan's opening (in square feet). This will give you the velocity of the air in feet per minute (FPM). To convert to miles per hour (MPH), simply divide the FPM by 88.

2. What factors affect the speed of air coming out of a fan?

The speed of air coming out of a fan can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the fan blades, the speed of the fan motor, the distance between the fan and the object it is blowing on, and any obstructions or restrictions in the air flow.

3. Can the speed of air coming out of a fan be increased?

Yes, the speed of air coming out of a fan can be increased by increasing the speed of the fan motor, changing the angle of the fan blades, or using a fan with larger or more efficient blades. However, it is important to note that increasing the speed of the fan may also increase the noise level and energy consumption.

4. How does the speed of air coming out of a fan affect its cooling power?

The speed of air coming out of a fan does not necessarily affect its cooling power. The cooling power of a fan is determined by its CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating, which is a measure of the volume of air it can move. A fan with a higher CFM rating will be able to cool a larger area or provide more concentrated cooling in a smaller area.

5. Is there a maximum speed that air can come out of a fan?

Yes, there is a maximum speed that air can come out of a fan. This is limited by the speed of the fan motor and the design of the fan blades. Trying to increase the speed beyond this limit may cause the fan to malfunction or break. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the safe and effective use of a fan.