Calculating the Speed of a Space Dragon's Tail: Dr Who Episode Analysis

In summary, the Moon has grown in size, and the dragon took about 1 second to flap it's tail half the distance that appears to be equal to the diameter of the Earth. The speed at which the dragon wags it's tail is 9000km/s.
Algr
Last week's Dr Who episode "Kill the Moon" infected me with stupid, and now I am compelled to try to calculate the speed at which the dragon wags it's tail.

Observational data:
1) Earth's moon had grown to have Earth gravity at this point, so I am assuming that it was also the size of the Earth when it turned into a puff cloud and vanished.

2) The dragon took about 1 second to flap it's tail half the distance that appears to be equal to the diameter of the Earth.

Looking up the size of Earth, I get (13000/2)/1= 6500 kps.

Obviously I've never tried anything quite like this before, how badly did I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Algr said:
Dr Who(...) infected me with stupid, and now I am compelled
That's probably the most accurate description ever of the Dr Who phenomenon.

I haven't seen that one. So the Moon has grown in size?
I presume the internal composition hasn't changed, though. This'd mean it needs to be larger than Earth for the same gravity, due to lower density. From memory, the density ratio is something like 3/5, so the Moon radius would need to be 5/3 times larger than Earth's. That's about 10000km. So by this estimate it's 10000km/s.

However, it's *cough* unreasonable to assume the Moon wouldn't get compressed under its, now higher, gravity, so its denisty would be higher than originally. How much it'd compress is something I can't fathom, but by pulling a number out of my behind I'd give it a 10% increase in density, leading to 10% change in radius = 9000km. And the tail swing is at 9000km/s.

Dr Who has some Spock's Brains in it, but other episodes can be very thoughtful and creative. "Hide" a few weeks ago was very good. I gather that the next one is getting good reviews - It is about creatures from the second dimension.

I've only watched Eccleston's and Tennant's incarnations. Skipped Smith altogether, and I can't get my head around Capaldi - after seeing him in "The thick of it" I keep expecting him to be spouting streams of invectives every five minutes.

But yeah, most of the series seems to be balancing on the fine line between plain silly, and the brilliant moments like "Midnight" or "Blink".

Bandersnatch said:
I can't get my head around Capaldi - after seeing him in "The thick of it" I keep expecting him to be spouting streams of invectives every five minutes
Weeall...he has got his moments...
tumblr_inline_nbc0yucMUT1qcj34v.gif

(Flippity*-bye)

*Yeah that’s the TARDIS’s swear filter...

Likes Ryuu and Bandersnatch
Bandersnatch said:
most of the series seems to be balancing on the fine line between plain silly, and the brilliant moments like "Midnight" or "Blink".
I guess you haven't seen the very first Dalek episodes. I'm not sure which was sillier: the old Dalek implementation (with Morris Minor indicator lights on their domes), or Barbara's 1960's hairstyle. :D

BTW, (speaking of "stupid space dragons"...), can anyone recall which episode had a "space whale" as an energy source. Was that Dr Who or Torchwood?

strangerep said:
BTW, (speaking of "stupid space dragons"...), can anyone recall which episode had a "space whale" as an energy source. Was that Dr Who or Torchwood?
I remember that one. A quick peek at wikipedia reveals it was "The Beast Below", and that I have actually watched quite a good bit of Smith's episodes. Huh.

There was also a Torchwood called "Meat" where this whale-sized alien was captured and the bad guys kept cutting parts of it away and selling it to restaurants and grocery stores. (It had fast healing so it grew back, but was in pain.)

What's stupid about space dragons? They're probably more feasible than time travel, faster-than-light and transporters.

Carno Raar said:
What's stupid about space dragons?
They're not very intelligent.

Bandersnatch said:
not very intelligent.
Signed away the residuals?

Likes Lizabella
Not stupid at all. It's just horrible to be raped by a dragon's tail, I may get the true meaning of penetration.

Related to Calculating the Speed of a Space Dragon's Tail: Dr Who Episode Analysis

1. What is a "Stupid Space Dragon's Tail"?

A "Stupid Space Dragon's Tail" is a hypothetical concept that is often used by scientists in discussions about space exploration and the possible existence of extraterrestrial life. It refers to the idea that there could be large celestial bodies or structures in space that resemble a dragon's tail, but may not necessarily be alive or have any conscious thought or intention.

2. Why is it called a "Stupid" Space Dragon's Tail?

The term "Stupid" is used in a lighthearted manner to emphasize the idea that this concept is purely theoretical and not based on any scientific evidence. It is meant to convey that there is no concrete proof of the existence of such a phenomenon, and it is simply a fun and imaginative concept to consider.

3. How did the concept of a "Stupid Space Dragon's Tail" come about?

The origin of this concept is unclear, but it is believed to have originated from discussions among scientists and science fiction enthusiasts about the vastness and potential mysteries of the universe. It is often used as a thought experiment to explore the possibilities of what could exist beyond our current understanding of space.

4. Could a "Stupid Space Dragon's Tail" actually exist?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of a "Stupid Space Dragon's Tail". However, since the universe is vast and full of unknowns, it is always possible that such a phenomenon could exist. It is important to approach this concept with an open mind and a sense of curiosity, rather than accepting or rejecting its existence outright.

5. What is the significance of the "Stupid Space Dragon's Tail" in relation to space exploration?

The concept of a "Stupid Space Dragon's Tail" serves as a reminder that there is still so much we do not know about the universe, and that our theories and understanding of space are constantly evolving. It encourages us to continue exploring and asking questions about the unknown, and to embrace the wonder and imagination that comes with the study of space.