Calculating the Spring Constant for a 9.10 kg Mass on a Vertical Spring

In summary, to find the force constant of a spring when a 9.10 kg mass is placed on top and the spring compresses 4.22 cm, you can use the equation F=kx and set it equal to the force of gravity (F=ma). After converting cm to meters, the force constant is calculated to be 2115.43 N/m. However, the answer is requested in kN/m, so the final answer should be 2.115 kN/m.
BHFCBabe

Homework Statement

When a 9.10 kg mass is placed on top of a vertical spring, the spring compresses 4.22 cm.
Find the force constant of the spring.

Homework Equations

F=kx
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Fgravity should =Fspring so I set the two above equations equal to each other and plug in the proper values.
I will also convert the cm to meters so my answer has the correct units.

9.10(9.81)=k(.0422)
89.271/.0422=k
k=2115.43

It wants the answer in kN/m
I put 2120 first, because I thought it had the right number of sigfigs, but that was wrong.
So then I put in my exact answer which was also wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BHFCBabe said:

Homework Statement

When a 9.10 kg mass is placed on top of a vertical spring, the spring compresses 4.22 cm.
Find the force constant of the spring.

Homework Equations

F=kx
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Fgravity should =Fspring so I set the two above equations equal to each other and plug in the proper values.
I will also convert the cm to meters so my answer has the correct units.

9.10(9.81)=k(.0422)
89.271/.0422=k
k=2115.43

It wants the answer in kN/m
I put 2120 first, because I thought it had the right number of sigfigs, but that was wrong.
So then I put in my exact answer which was also wrong.

What am I doing wrong?
Hint: kN/m?

AM

I realized that about an hour later. Thanks.

Related to Calculating the Spring Constant for a 9.10 kg Mass on a Vertical Spring

1. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How do you find the spring constant?

The spring constant can be found by measuring the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring a certain distance. This can be done using a spring balance or force sensor, and then using the equation F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

3. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the material and design of the spring. For example, a stiffer or thicker spring will have a larger spring constant than a thinner or more flexible spring. The temperature and length of the spring can also affect the spring constant.

4. What are the units of the spring constant?

The units of the spring constant depend on the units used to measure force and displacement. In the SI system, the units are newtons per meter (N/m). In the English system, the units are pounds per inch (lb/in).

5. Why is the spring constant important?

The spring constant is an important factor in understanding and predicting the behavior of springs in various applications. It is used in calculations for determining the amount of force needed to stretch or compress a spring, as well as in designing and engineering structures that use springs, such as shock absorbers, trampolines, and car suspensions.